Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket stall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket stall

I am currently cooking a brisket at the moment and I was really worried when it powered through the stall 160-170 but now it seems to be stalling between 170 and 180. Would this be simply where I have placed my probe (I have stuck it with a thermapen a few times and I'm getting the same reading) or does this happen sometimes? Should I take it off at 213 instead of 203? What would you guys recommend?

How long have you been on?
    Wrapped?
    What temp are you cooking at?

Brisket's take time, let her cook!

Comment

• Santostfm
      Santostfm commented
      Editing a comment
      they have been on for 6 hours. Temp is currently 180. I was cooking it at 260 but I have now reduced the heat to 220 because I am worried about how quick it's cooking. The brisket was 5kg and about 4kg after trimming (sorry I don't know the weight in pounds).

I also have not wrapped them

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      You are doing great. I would not be worried about the brisket going too fast. You do 225, or 260. I find I like the higher temps, especially later in the cook so you can properly render that fat. How dark is the bark? Do you have some foil or paper to wrap it in when the bark gets nice and dark?

Nah, just let it roll man. Sometimes its where you, put the probe some time its just the meat. Meathead says, "Pieces of Meat are not Widgets." No two pieces of meat are exactly the same. Sometime the stall happens at 155 F some times 180 F.

It's not a big deal. Just let it roll until it gets to 202- 204 F.

Keep us posted.

Comment

Spinaker Thanks man. I'll pull it at around 203 and see how it comes out. It's looking pretty good at the moment.

Comment

Just keep going it will come out great. Patience Grasshopper.

Comment

All good advice so far. I would add that you shouldn't get stuck on 203. If it probe tender, where a toothpick or your thermapen slides in like butter, it's ready. I have had briskets cooked at 203 take 15 hours with no wrapping. I also have had what some would call a double stall, but I thought it more like a creep as the temp jumped 10 degrees after the stall quickly, then slowed down until about 198 when I pulled it. Patience my friend, you cannot rush yumminess!

Comment

• Santostfm
            Santostfm commented
            Editing a comment
            I think something similar is happening. It has taken 4 hours to creep from 180 to 195. It's now on track with how long I was expecting. I will probably pull it soon as it's feeling about right.

Ended up pulling the brisket at 196 as it felt about right. It tasted amazing. The best I have ever tasted. Thanks for the help everyone.
          Attached Files

Comment

Congrats on a successful cook.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Good job. fine looking chow.

Comment

Santostfm Great lookin' cook, fine job!!!

Comment

I just ate and that's making me hungry!

Comment

Super Fun!

Comment

Looks good to me.

Comment

Great looking piece of brisket. You did an excellent cook.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here