Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wet aging, dry aging help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wet aging, dry aging help

I was looking on this site for something on these topics. Can any of you reference me to a link or something you used that works? Thanks ahead of time!

From this page:

Wet-aged beef. The process of aging beef in an vacuum sealed bag, typically for about 28 days. The process differs from dry aging because the meat is kept sealed and does not shrink, but the enzymatic activity does change the flavor and texture slightly, although not as profoundly as dry aging.

Dry-aged beef. The process of aging meat, almost always beef ribeye and strip steaks, in a temperature and humidity controlled environment, where enzymes and molds work to dehydrate the meat and concentrate the flavors, often creating new, exotic umami-rich flavors, perhaps reminiscent of mushrooms, cheese, and even, at the extreme, prosciutto. Dry aged beef is hard to find, 28 days old is the most common age, and it is very expensive. See also wet-aged beef.

Here's Dr. Blonder's dry aging technique: http://www.genuineideas.com/Articles...agingMeat.html

And Serious Eats': http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/t...f-at-home.html

Meathead had talked about putting some info together on dry aging as well as reviewing some home products, not sure if he has gotten anything together on it yet, maybe if he gets the tag he can comment.

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      There's something different going on. Did you get a haircut or something... Lol

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Several Nate

I want to do it myself but am scared of poisoning myself .

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Check out the UMai Dry bags at www.drybagsteak.com/. If you are half handy with a vacuum packer, the rest is pretty foolproof.

Big fan of dry aged steaks. I was curious about doing it at home too and had the same aversion to poisoning myself. I invested in a Steak Locker (www.steaklocker.com) about a year ago and have produced some magnificent dry aged prime rib-eyes, aged anywhere from 30-40 days. There are much cheaper options available to "try it" if you're curious about dry aging at home. I highly recommend doing it.

Be warned: The taste is totally addicting and you will never again find it acceptable to spend $40 or $50 on a dry aged steak from a steakhouse when you can produce your own at home for less than $20. You will forever be disappointed in the quality of fresh steaks and even most dry-aged steaks from a restaurant.

I've become such a fan of dry-aging, I'm looking at purchasing an inexpensive band saw so I can dry age porterhouse, T-bones and strip steaks too.

Comment

• lschweig
      lschweig commented
      Editing a comment
      Man that is one expensive piece of equipment!

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      lschweig When I first clicked the Buy link to see the price I misread it, and thought "Hmm $149 isn't bad at all". Ha!

• frijolefrito
      frijolefrito commented
      Editing a comment
      I often find with cooking equipment you get what you pay for.

Is pricey but got a white hot deal through Cabela's. Have aged 3 full 7-rib roasts and turned them into 33 aged prime rib eyes. After I age my next roast (next month), it'll have paid for itself.
    Last edited by RiderCoach Lar; December 11, 2016, 11:26 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

SO thank you for this and now I'm going to be 1500 dollars poorer.

Comment

Originally posted by frijolefrito View Post
        SO thank you for this and now I'm going to be 1500 dollars poorer.
        LOL! Okay, first of all, not my fault. If you were doing any homework on dry aging you were bound to find out about it on your own....but, you're welcome.

Second, know that dry aging has little to do with the equipment and everything to do with the process of controlling temperature, humidity, airflow and avoiding bacteria. The equipment you use to dry age only affects convenience of the process. The Steak Locker is about as simple and convenient as it gets...and that convenience comes with a price. Can you build a setup where you can adequately control temperature, humidity, airflow and bacteria? Of course.

However, for people like me who are inherently lazy...and also think it's uber-cool to see a large hunk of meat, illuminated by a blue antimicrobial light, dry aging behind a glass door...the Steak Locker is a nice, if not pricey, option.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here