Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking Meats that have been frozen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking Meats that have been frozen

Oh wise ones of all things smokey,

Does it degrade briskets (same question for pork shoulders) if I have stored them in the freezer for a month or two before I smoke them?

Our local Cash 'n Carry typically carries select grade. I can sometimes get them to order choice, and a month ago came across a couple of prime grade packers buried in their select pile, for $2.52/lb. I sometimes go for a couple of months between cooks, and have taken to stopping by C&C to scout for choice and prime grades, and would like to stockpile some in the freezer if it didn't compromise the final outcome.

Tim

Nope. It's all good. Freeze away. Not much I ate growing up that wasn't frozen. Kinda hard to consume entire cows and pigs in one week, not to mention numerous ducks and geese.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; December 7, 2016, 03:01 PM.

Comment

To help you feel a little better, Snake River Farms sells high dollar Wagyu briskets--all frozen-- to winning BBQ competition teams.

Comment

• frijolefrito
        frijolefrito commented
        Editing a comment
        hey we were talking about that!

Thanks guys!

Comment

Enough said on freezing them. Apply the dry brine and then vacuum seal for the freezer if possible. Further, you can go straight from the freezer to the low and slow smoke.

Comment

• shush
          shush commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry.. wait... what? I read Meathead's section debunking the 'bring it to room temperature' but, from freezer directly to smoker? Really? That sounds awesome! *please be true*

• Northside Brian
          Northside Brian commented
          Editing a comment
          shush, If you listen to Blonders smoke lecture he says that he frequently puts frozen meat on the smoker. It just takes longer.

shush It is in fact true. Just expect your cook time to be a bit longer, up to couple hours for a pork butt, an extra hour or two for a brisket. The thing to consider with a brisket is if you do a full packer, the thickness will be different end to end, so the cook will be... a bit different. I personally have never smoked a frozen full packer brisket, but dozens of people here have. I'm sure they will chime in.

Comment

• Deaf Arty
          Deaf Arty commented
          Editing a comment
          Man, does this open up a whole new world for me! How do you handle the meat before freezing? Do you jusr dry brine and vacuum seal? How about rub? Does that go on frozen meat just before it goes on the fire? I'm guessing so since rub sticks better on wet meat...

There is an article in the site on thawing etc. One think I have found is that putting the full packer (if in cryovac) in an ice bath for a couple hours before putting in freezer helps thr quality, and then defrosting in an ice bath overnight before thawing in the fridge helps. However, you're still fine if you just chuck her in the freezer and thaw in fridge. Cheers!

Comment

I have dry brine with salt free rub, then vacuum sealed, but they don't sit around my house long enough to freeze. I have let them sit in the fridge for a week as to age a bit.

I let brisket sit in the fridge for a week or so, but not pork. I really want to find the patience and the ability to resist temptation and let a brisket sit in the fridge for 21-28 days with the dry brine (vacuum sealed). I have heard the results of the brine combined with the aging of the meat really takes it up a notch or two.
          Last edited by AZRedneck; December 8, 2016, 04:46 PM. Reason: Meat clarification

Comment

I had some stuff come out rubbery and I thought it was the freezer... it was me.

Comment

Fish also freezes well for future smoking. The fish I catch are big enough to smoke right away, but I usually have to wait for a smoker load from the folks I fish with. I assume you all have the same problem.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here