Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My turn for a true reverse seared steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My turn for a true reverse seared steak

Following Huskee's lead. I am also reverse searing a monster chunk of beef tonight. I have a bone in strip weighing in at 2 lbs. it is 2" thick, 21 day dry aged prime.

I just purchased the gourmet grate system for my Weber kettle with the sear insert. will be using that tonight. I fully chimney of coal right below the sear plate should get that to a good 600°. Will do the reverse sear staring with 250° indirect to 125. Then load up the sear grate and hot coals to preheat. Will be posting pics of the process.

My new grate

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20141006_001.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	24788

The steak, trimmed and dry brined.

Name:	WP_20141009_004.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	24789
    Attached Files

Oh man, steak night! Cheers!

Comment

Name:	Strip_10_9-1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	24830 Dry brined and ready for the fire

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice sized steak. We're eating well tonight you & me.

• jmeier64
        jmeier64 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, yours turned out awesome!! Thanks

Name:	Strip_10_9-1-2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	24898 The final product. It is time I break out the DSLR for food pics. Phone camera doesn't cut it at all. My after shots are no where near Huskees'. The grate was a total success. I think it was my best steak to date. Sorry didn't get a sliced or plated pics. We had some friends over and the wife started making some funny noises when I was going to take a pic while eating

Comment

That's a good looking sear! I gotta hold back on a medal without a cut pic of the inner meat, but by all measures it looks like you ate well tonight

Comment

• jmeier64
          jmeier64 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the thought. I sure did eat good. Tomorrow to celebrate my long weekend I am doing a big spread, Pastrami style brisket, chicken, country ham on the mini and the kettle. Should have good pics of that including a final plated pic

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          Show me the pics! (in Cuba Gooding Jr fashion).

Originally posted by jmeier64 View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]n24898[/ATTACH] Sorry didn't get a sliced or plated pics. We had some friends over and the wife started making some funny noises when I was going to take a pic while eating
        Wives do that.... mine rolls her eyes still but she has gotten past the audible noises. They fall on deaf ears

Comment

• The Burn
          The Burn commented
          Editing a comment
          Did she get any of that ribeye?

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I would've shared but she's out of town.

I cannot find anywhere how long approximately to do a 1 1/2 inch steak at 225 to reach 115 degrees. Can someone give some insight please?

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome sir. I would estimate 45 min or thereabouts. Maybe 35, maybe 55. I've never timed it but this is what I'm leaning toward.

Originally posted by Erniep View Post
        I cannot find anywhere how long approximately to do a 1 1/2 inch steak at 225 to reach 115 degrees. Can someone give some insight please?

Welcome to The Pit! I'd plan for 50 minutes for the meat to get to 115F. This assumes we're talking about 225F of convective heat. You start mixing in radiative or conductive heat and things could speed up some.

Have you read the thermodynamics of cooking article? How to sear a steakhouse steak article?

When you have a minute please read my welcome letter and tips posts. Tip #1 will help you fill out your signature. Once we know what equipment you have and a bit more about yourself we'll be able to help more.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here