Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse-searing a MONSTER ribeye!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse-searing a MONSTER ribeye!

On the menu tonight is a monster 2lb, 2" thick CAB ribeye. They were on sale & it's been a LONG time since I've treated myself to the sacred cow, so tonight's the night.

I'll try to document the process, including the beef love and the sear (if possible).

To start out, here's the ribeye pre-trimmed: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5533.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	24717

And trimmed and dry brining, with proper beverage for the task at hand: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5534.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	24718

She's purdy thick! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5541.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	24808

I added a little bit (not too much!) of no-salt Big Bad Beef Rub, since I love the peppery profile. Dry brined for about 3 hrs.

Here I'm gauging exactly how far I want my temp probe to go in. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5542.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	24809

And here's a side view showing it centered on the X & Y Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5543.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	24810

Here's my setup on my Smokey Joe- very crude foil imitation of a Smokenator, which is functioning as more of a baffle or heat shield. A dozen or so reused K-ford briquets left over from yesterday's beef rib cook. And a chunk of red oak to get that CA tri-tip flavor.

Cooker probe in little foil ball, and monster ribeye on "far" side. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5545.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	24812

Here she is purring away, hovering in the 250-260 range, which is perfect for reverse searing. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5546.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	24813

Fat trimmings tossed into the skillet to make Beef Love (found in the tan sidebar about halfway down on this page) The cats get the rest.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5547.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	24837 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5555b.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	24839

When the steak IT hits about 100* I start some more charcoal for the sear.
    When it's ready I setup the firebox of my offset with a charcoal bowl full of the glowing ashed-over briqs, and I set my food grate right on top of the bowl giving me 1" or less clearance between food & heat. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5561.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	24840

When the steak hits 10-15 below your target temp (135 for me, for medium rareish), paint beef love on one side and transfer it to the searing grate. Put the painted side down and paint the other (top side). Rotate every 10-15 sec to NOT get grill marks.

Flip over every 60-90 sec. Repeat this turning & rotating procedure until you reach your target temp.

Name:	IMAG5567.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	24842

Temp reached. Thanks to my trusty ThermoPop for letting me know!

Name:	IMAG5571.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	24844

Now for the test..

Name:	IMAG5572.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	24845

Name:	IMAG5575.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	24846

Name:	IMAG5583.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	24847

You know how people always say "the best one I've ever done"? Well, it was. Just ask Pit Boss.

Done over charcoal and red oakto medium rare 135*.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Huskee; October 9, 2014, 07:10 PM.

One word: EPIC!

Comment

That reminds of those Cowboy ribeyes from Double R Ranch... they are 2 pounders also.

Comment

MGD & and red meat.....what's not to like? Looking forward to the final product. Just did pulled pork and tenderloin earlier this week. I think I have a new task in mind after looking at this. This is why I am a member of PETA! And for those of you going whaaa.....???? My group affiliation stands for: People Eating Tasty Animals!

Comment

• Mayhem Mike
          Mayhem Mike commented
          Editing a comment
          Like I always say, "There's room on earth for ALL of God's creatures . . . right next to the mashed potatoes!"

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol Mike, very true!

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          MM I like how you think!

Oh this is going to be good!! Lots of pics please

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          You got it!

Yum!! Makes me sorry I didn't get to cutting up my whole ribeye yet. Tomorrow, for sure.

Comment

Bump, I updated the pics above!

Comment

If I had me one of those medals I'd be slappin it on here. AWESOME cook, awesome post.

Pic 11 is like the coolest EVER!

Last edited by Jon Solberg; October 9, 2014, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Jon, I was pleased how well it turned out too!

• Jon Solberg
              Jon Solberg commented
              Editing a comment
              I am so stealing the smokey joe thing. I've been using it for the sear. Thats too cool

NICE! Great pics, great writeup. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Henrik!

If I get a big buck this year I will definitely treat myself to one of those. Course meat prices might be half of what they are now by the time I even see a big buck while hunting

Awesome job!!!!!!!

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks JB. You'll get that buck.

Wait for it.....

Comment

Wait foooooooorrr iiiiitttttt..................

Comment

Wait ffffffffffffooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt ttt........................

Comment

BAM.. MEDAL!!!

Name:	PBA.png
Views:	77
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	24880

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                    If I had me one of those medals I'd be slappin it on here. AWESOME cook, awesome post.

Pic 11 is like the coolest EVER!

I agree that pic is DA BOMB!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here