Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SRF BOGO Briskets Have Arrived!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SRF BOGO Briskets Have Arrived!!!!!!!!

Ordered 2 16-18 pound briskets from SRF during their buy-one-get-one promotion a couple of weeks ago. UPS was nice enough to drop the off this afternoon.

The plan at the moment is to do them in the PBC sometime around Christmas. As I generally do with local (lesser grade) brisket, I will separate the point and flat and trim most of the fat. Then, I'm thinking to try one with Black Ops rub and the other with BBBR. I've never cooked brisket graded better than choice, any thoughts? What about using/not using the crutch?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Box.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	362.3 KB
ID:	245959

Congrats on the briskets. I'll be watching for the comments.

Comment

Looking beautiful already. During an evening of too much wine I ordered the rib outer steaks during the two for one, but then I had buyer's remorse and cancelled it. Still, it's possible to have non-buyer's remorse too!

Comment

It probes tender sooner, like start checking around 190*. The point goes there, the flat a bit later.

I use BBBR. Love it.

Comment

Mine also arrived yesterday. 31.2 Lbs of beef heaven. My schedule is so crazy right now it may be a couple weeks before I can even cook one in my PBC. Click image for larger version

Name:	Wagyu Brisket.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	246136

Comment

I would foil those bad boys once they hit 180 F or so an have great bark. I say foil instead of crutch because you'll be wrapping in foil after the stall, hence you're not really using a "crutch" to get through the stall.

Comment

Are these Wagyu, or just their northwest beef, better-than-Choice-but-not-officially-Prime?

Regardless, what I'd do is DON'T over-trim the fat cap for starters. Leave a little extra versus trimming too much!

Smoke a good 7-8 hrs, until the briskets are through the stall and near 180 or so, when the bark looks real nice.
              Then wrap them tightly in a double layer of foil. (*Or paper.)
              Then keep a'cookin' until they get to 195ish (you don't need "203"), which might be another 1-2hrs, avg of 90min... give or take. (*If paper, it may take an additional hour or so to get to the final IT over foil.)
              Then either reduce your smoker temp to ~160-180 and keep them there for 2 more hrs, or faux cambro them for 2hrs.

This above method has worked like magic for me many times over.

Comment

• johnec00
                johnec00 commented
                Editing a comment
                Huskee - The website says they are "American Waygu", not the northwest. They say that they are graded IAW the Japanese grading scale (1-12), but they don't say what the grade actually is. We'll see how it compares with the choice grade that is the best available around here.

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                johnec00 You'll love it! I've cooked their Wagyu before. It is noticeably tastier and fattier than their regular northwest Choice, which itself is still very good.

johnec00 , Northside Brian , those briskets look fantastic!!!

Be sure to document an' share yer cooks on such beef loveliness!!!

>Off to search th' Interweb fer BOGOs on Guv'mint Cheese lol!

Comment

• Northside Brian
                Northside Brian commented
                Editing a comment
                Mr. Bones, After paying for this brisket, i will need the link for the BOGO on the guv'mint cheese if you find it.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Northside Brian , consider it done, Amigo! LOL!!! :-)))
                Maybe these are spelled bri$ket? Ain't got my cheaters on, 's kinda fuzzy...

Mine are Wagyu. I am able to get my PBC down to about 240 which is where I plan to cook them. I was debating on paper wrap or just cooking w/o wrap to internal of about 195 without wrap like Aaron did in one of his videos. I do know I dont want to foil wrap them. Then cambro for about 2 hrs until IT is ~160

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Monster crust on the PBC unwrapped one! Maybe try one of each, paper and nekkid?

• Northside Brian
                Northside Brian commented
                Editing a comment
                Thats what I'm thinking. With lots of detailed notes and pics. (without pics it didnt happen).

johnec00 I would love to hear how you cooked yours and the results since I may not be able to do mine for a couple weeks still. It's gonna gnaw at my soul knowing I have them in my freezer and cant do anything with them.

Comment

• johnec00
                johnec00 commented
                Editing a comment
                Northside Brian - I'm in the same boat as you, won't get a chance to cook them for at least a few weeks.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here