Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Kettle Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber Kettle Brisket

Did a 14.5 pound packer last night, came in just under 11 pounds trimmed. I dry brined for about 30 hours with salt and pepper, no other spices after that. I used the snake method for coals. This was a mistake due to the fact that I had to: 1) keep turning the grill grate to keep the meat on indirect heat 2) drip pan wasn't always centered to catch the drippings 3) The meat wound up sitting over direct heat while I added coals to the end of the snake, more about that in a minute.

My snake was 2 coals wide and 2 coals deep. I used 4 small chunks of mesquite for smoke. I found the sweet spot of 240F with the top vent all the way open, and the easy clean vent set to 1/4 open. It stayed rock solid for 6 hours, which made me very happy.

Then, around midnight, for no apparent reason at all, the wind started blowing, and I mean blowing hard! My flags were straight out, and the temps went crazy. First they dropped, then shot up to 320 in about 10 minutes. I was on crazy damage control for a while, and closed the bottom vent almost completely to compensate. Then it dropped to 210, then back up, then down. I felt like one of the fellas in this video for a while. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7yqlTMvp8

After about 3 hours of this, the wind died down, and I got it all back under control. However the damage had already been done. Between Fact #3 above and the crazy high temperatures, the bark got pretty darned tough on the edges, and quite dry to the point of flaking to pieces when sliced.

I smoked it for 16.25 hours to an IT of 200, soft as buttah! Wrapped in foil, then put it in my oven @170F for 2 hours. It was still at IT of 185, so I let it sit (still wrapped) until it dropped to about 140-150, then the carving began.

Once you chiseled your way past the bark, the innards were excellent! Tender, juicy, and a great smoky flavor. I rate it a success considering the fact that I was in direct conflict with Mother Nature for a while. Here's the proof in pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snake Setup.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	244362

Kinda hard to see, but here's the coal setup with pan. I started with about 1 inch of hot water I took from boiling to the pan.

Name:	Grill Placement.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	244363

19 inch long brisket on a 22.5 inch kettle. This was a super tight fit, but it fit, so it got smoked.

Name:	Post Rest 2 Hours.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	244364

Here it is after the rest.

Name:	Sliced 1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	244365

Here you can see the flaky bark. The good thing is it was still edible!

Name:	Sliced 2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	244366

Still, it was juicy and yummy!

That bark is exactly what I STRIVE for. That is a nice looking brisket.

Comment

I read the word "mistake" in your post. After viewing the pics I'm not so sure you know what a "mistake" is.

Awesome cook!!

Comment

Flaky bark, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Love it!

Comment

Looks Damned good to me with the obvious juiciness, smoke ring, and bark.

Comment

Nice! The thing about temps bobbing up & down like that is the meat couldn't care less, it just drives the human nuts. Have you considered a Slow 'N Sear for your kettle? It takes a lot of the fuss out of a brisket cook, or any smoking on the kettle for that matter.

Comment

• AZRedneck
              AZRedneck commented
              Editing a comment
              Last night I was really wishing I had one. I told Mrs Redneck this morning about my ordeal, and mentioned how much I hope Santa brings me one for Christmas.

• gijsveltman
              gijsveltman commented
              Editing a comment
              Huskee I'm doing my first brisket on the Kettle this weekend. It weighs 12# untrimmed. I have a Slow 'N Sear, but Meathead's recipe says I should place a water pan below the brisket. Should I do this for this cook and not use the SnS water tank, or both?

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              gijsveltman, use Meathead's recipe for the meat know-how, but use ABC's recipe for cooking it with the SnS. Use its water reservoir and you don't need anything below the meat except foil to catch drippings and contain the mess.

If this is a mistake, call me when you get it right. My number is BR-549, (Hello Junior wherever you are ).

Comment

AZRedneck Looks fantastic! Great job on yer cook!

Comment

Oh yea... I'd eat that!!! A lot of it!

Comment

Beautiful

Comment

Gorgeous brisket. You did great!

Comment

Good lord, i'm still looking for the mistake.

Comment

I hope my first will look half as good

Comment

Thank you everyone for you kind words! If this is the worst I ever get, I suppose I'm ok with it.

Comment

Looks amazing, well done, sir!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here