Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making chuck roast in advance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making chuck roast in advance

I am making a chuck roast as a secondary main for thanksgiving tomorrow. however, dinner is at my cousin,s house, about thirty minutes away. what is the beat way to cook the roast in advancr at home and then bring it toy cousin. if I just do the normal cook to medium rare, how well will it reheat?

any advice?

The old faux cambro approach should work fine. Warm a cooler with some hot water, dump it, wrap the roast in foil and towels when you pull it off the cooker, and stick it in the cooler for the trip (or a bit longer, won't hurt). That should keep it warm, rather than having to resort to a reheat.

Comment

Can you clarify what finished product you are going for? If you are making pulled beef, definitely take it up to 207 or so and put it in a faux cambro for the trip, then pull it at your cousin's place. You mention medium rare, so are you looking at making a prime-rib-type roast? If so, I'd suggest cooking it there. We had a similar question in the PBC thread here. What are you cooking on and does your grill travel well?

ETA: On second thought, a roast may travel ok if it is only half hour and you will be eating once you get there.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        It was good for you to ask that question, PBCDad. I think the medium-rare would work in the cooler, but it might not be medium -rare anymore.

I do a lot of chuck roasts like them better than brisket and I love brisket. May I recommend even if slicing and not pulling take it to the 200 + temp / probe tender. Dry brine night before, put them in the cooker cold, when probe tender in the faux cambro cooler for an hour, they will be great. I cook all my steaks, prime rib etc to medium rare but at that temp my experience with chuck has been tough and chewy.

Comment

Elecsheep9 If you're doing a chuck roast for pulled beef I agree with what PBCDad said with respect to taking it to ~207, and a faux cambro for 1-3 hours. On your introduce yourself post I see you said "I prefer charcoal on the Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear". Here's a recipe on abcbarbecue.com for pulled beef/chuck roast on a kettle+SnS that should help if this is what your doing.

Comment

I was planning on doing a sliced medium rare roast. I was going to do it with the gravy recipe on this site.

Typically, how long would it take to reach pulled temperature? And would that work with the gravy?

Comment

• scottranda
            scottranda commented
            Editing a comment
            it takes 10-14 hours, but it really depends on thickness. Not sure about your gravy question.

I'd highly suggest if you're looking for a medium rare roast that you cook it on site. You run two risks faux cambroing a MR roast- it overcooking due to carryover and then cooling down and needing reheated (not a trauma, but not ideal either), and safety risk since it would stay a long time in the danger zone of 40-140. Ideally this wouldn't matter with whole muscle beef, but you never know. It would probably take an hour to hour & half-ish to cook it on site reverse sear to 135 then serve fresh & hot.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here