Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Normal vs. Wagyu vs Kobe tri-tip Beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Normal vs. Wagyu vs Kobe tri-tip Beef

I'm in Santa Maria California (where BBQing this particular cut originated) for a few days, and I'm thinking of picking some up at one of their local fresh meat butcher shops. They have regular for $8.99/lbs, Wagyu for $18.99/lbs and Kobe (style) for $26.99/lbs. I've only had Kobe style beef in a hamburger in Los Angeles, and didn't notice much of a difference. Anyone have any experience with these styles of beef? Worth the additional (outlandish) price? These are all fresh, unmarinated, unseasoned cuts.

I don't understand the difference between being labeled Wagyu and "Kobe (style)". Kobe is Wagyu (breed) from Kobe, Japan. That tells me it and the Wagyu are the same. Honestly I don't think it's worth the extra $10/lb, and DEFINITELY not the $26.99 for Kobe (style) [*cough*.. ripoff..*cough*]. I cooked a Wagyu tri tip from SRF, and while it was great it wasn't amazing. A sirloin just isn't super tender. Very delicious, just not super tender. This is purely my opinion and experience, others may think differently including you!

Comment

• TallTrees
      TallTrees commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll swing by the butcher tomorrow, and check out the marbling of the 3 different brands.

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow them is cheap numbers considering how much Costco.com is saleing Authentic Japanese Wagyu Boneless Ribeye Roast, A-5 Grade, 12 lbs for (I'll give you a hint at the price...) They are giving a $300. discount at the moment. link--->http://www.costco.com/.product.100311435.html

See if there's a Costco nearby. They may have prime grade for less than $5/lb.

Comment

• TallTrees
      TallTrees commented
      Editing a comment
      I have 2 Costcos within 25 minutes of me in the Bay Area, but I rarely find fresh, unmarinated tri-tip. It's generally Morton's marinated. But it's relatively inexpensive, but not particularly good. In Palo Alto, we have a Fred's marinated tri-tip for $18.99/lbs. Yum

• mgaretz
      mgaretz commented
      Editing a comment
      In the East Bay it's a staple. Might be worth the drive.

Here in Maui, I guess we are close enough to CA that tri-tip is regularly available, usually about $8/lb, sometimes $9. But I found some on sale for about $4, probably Select. I put it in the SV hot tub for about 30 hours at 130 deg, seared it, and it was the most tender meat I've eaten in some time. Not mushy, just tender to the bite, and flavorful. After dinner, it made great sandwiches. I just bought another one, $5.50/lb for Choice; and I'm going to give it the same treatment. There is a Costco here, but I don't remember seeing tri-tip, any grade, nor at home in Houston. Only 2 per cow!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here