Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK to freeze whole brisket uncooked? Costco USDA Prime $2.79/lb.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK to freeze whole brisket uncooked? Costco USDA Prime $2.79/lb.

Costco has USDA prime whole brisket for $2.79/lb. Got the bird on mind for next week but don't want to pass this up if it wouldn't make a difference if I froze it.
    Attached Files

Not a problem at all.

Comment

since it is cryo vac'ed, you can freeze for as long as you need. I have one in my freezer that has been there for 2 months.

Comment

Yup, it'll be fine! Good Luck, an' Welcome to the Pit! Glad yer here, lookin' forward to learning with, and from you.

Comment

Welcome WindsorWino and fill your freezer up.

Comment

I've held a SRF for almost a year no problem.

Comment

• Northside Brian
              Northside Brian commented
              Editing a comment
              How do you keep a SRF brisket for a year and not put that thing on the pit? I have 2 coming on dec 2 and think one has to go on my PBC on the 3rd.

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              We had some illness in the family. I didn't have the time to dedicate to it. Once everything was okay we feasted!

Welcome WindsorWino and that's a great price! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. Thanks!

Comment

Thanks to all. I pulled the trigger and picked up a beauty 16 pounder for $45.20! And thank you for the warm welcome. I am looking forward to continuing my quest for the love of BBQ and it's history.

Comment

I have 2 Prime briskets in my freezer, that I believe were the exact same price as yours. Been there 2 months-ish. With any luck I'll be thawing one soon to cook up Saturday.

Comment

I normally pick up two briskets when I am buying them at costco. One to cook, one to freeze. :-)

Comment

I went to our neighborhood market around 4th of July and was finally.gonna get my brisket on. I was mentally prepared for the challenge of a long cook time, willing to start early morning and when I asked for a full brisket and once it was weighed, it was going to be about $141.00. Hence to say, I ended up doing ribs. Super excited to find a hidden jewel like this at Costco.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      $10/lb? Seems about right for a local market butcher on a big summer holiday.

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, I can get Painted Hills brisket flats at my local butcher for $9.49/lb .... but Costco's prime packer is just as good, and 1/3 the price!

I let mine rest for a month in the fridge. I have gone as long as 60 days in the fridge. As long as its cry-vac'd your fine for weeks.

Comment

• Spinaker
                      Spinaker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You got it. scottranda lschweig

• scottranda
                      scottranda commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks!

• OneEyedJack
                      OneEyedJack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Wet aging in the fridge, too. I bought a 14 pounder last week with a "Sell By" date of 11/17. I'm not planning on the cook until the 26th and will do the trimming, injecting and dry brining on Thursday noon before we cut out to my niece's for Thanksgiving dinner.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here