Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Dem Dino Bones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did Dem Dino Bones

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dino Bones Cook 11-16-16.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	241171Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0498 - Copy.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	241172Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0502 - Copy.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	241173
    Well, my Dino Bones are nothing but bones now... here is the story...
    I had to order a case of them at my local market. What I purchased was one of three cryovac pacs which contained four-
    three bone slabs. I promised the butcher I would get the other two packs sold within 1 week or purchase them myself. While I was talking to him, another customer asked about them, so I sold him a package. ( I probably should have got a commission.) One to go. A couple days later, after sending a few people in after they had looked at my pics, they were purchased also. Sometime you gotta be creative.

I trimmed all the exterior fat I could, even cutting some out from the edges, seeing plenty of marbling left.
    After trimming and rubbing with a combo PBC rub and BBBR then refrigerating for 36 hours, I finally got to cook them on the PBC. I used a full basket of Kingsford (blue) and added a handful of pecan wood chips right after I hung them.

Name:	IMG_0560 - Copy.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	241174Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender - Copy (3).jpg
Views:	103
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	241175Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0607 - Copy.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	241176
    9:45 AM. Outside temp was 57 degrees with a slight wind. I hung the grill probe between the plates of ribs and it
    registered 266 degrees. The meat was 40 degrees at hanging. Right after the chips were added the grill temp went to 297. By 11:00 it was down to 282, by 11:30 it was at 277. By 12:00 it was down to 259 and meat was at 192. Temp varied from there to 262 at 12:40. I probed for tenderness and it was getting tender. Meat was at 194. By 1:07 The grill temp was 273 and the meat temp was 203 and probed nice and tender. I removed the plates and wrapped in foil to hold for dinner which would be at 5:30. I had no idea they would cook so quickly. Three hours and 22 minutes. They held
    well in my towel insulated cooler, and were nice and warm upon serving.

Name:	IMG_0608.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	241177Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0611 - Copy.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	241178Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0613.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	241179

They were delicious, looked better than my picture and overall, I was satisfied with my first Dino Bones. One
    of our guests said they "were the best smoked meat he had ever eaten". Sincerity or flattery, it felt good.
    I probably should have left them on a little longer, because there was still a lot of interior fat that had not
    rendered. On the positive side, this fat let them stay nice and moist when the leftovers were re-heated in
    the microwave. My wife and I finished them up today.

I still have the other two plates in the freezer, So I welcome all input on how to do it better next time. I really
    would have liked the interior fat to be rendered better.

Name:	IMG_0633 - Copy.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	241180
    Final conclusions:
    The bones make me want to get a dog and
    It is harder to post all this stuff than it was to do the cook. I hope the post looks okay when I hit the "post" button.

Great job! Your 3hr cook sounds about right, on other cookers at a temp of say 225-250ish, they are 3-5hr, with 5 being more realistic, but as we all know those higher PBC temps and higher humidity speed things up. One thing a few of us have noted is that smoked beef does well being held at its done temp (which is ok to be higher than 203, let's say 207-209) for a while (say an hour) before even cambroing them. This may help with that extra fat rendering you're speaking of. Obviously be very cautious of this if you ever have what appears to be more lean beef ribs.

Comment

• Gator Lau
      Gator Lau commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, that is a big help.

Wow, nice cook. Gotta love blue ink on a bag, if no red is available.

Comment

• Gator Lau
      Gator Lau commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, that store often sticks me with standard. Had a pre order demand this time!

Great looking cook.

Comment

• Gator Lau
      Gator Lau commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you.

Looks delicious! Nice post.

Comment

• Gator Lau
      Gator Lau commented
      Editing a comment
      Was delicious. Thank you. As far as the post goes, I'm still learning computer skills. I wasn't sure what was going to happen.

Gator Lau , Great lookin' cook!!!

I jus' gotta try me some o' Dem Dino Bones!!!

Thanks fer sharin'!!!

Comment

• Gator Lau
      Gator Lau commented
      Editing a comment
      Everybody should.. They were not only delicious, but impressive to the company.

yum! good job!

Comment

• Gator Lau
      Gator Lau commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. i'm learning, thanks to you all!

Beautiful!

Comment

• Gator Lau
      Gator Lau commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here