Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Costco and briskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Costco and briskets

I'm sure most here are aware that Costco in the Mid-West and West carry prime packer briskets for less than $3 per lb. And on the
    East coast they only carry choice flats, and they are more than primes where they carry primes.
    I was in Costco today and asked if they could get whole primes. He told me they had whole briskets, but they separated the point and flat and only sold the flat. I asked what happened to the point and he told me that they went into the ground hamburger mix.

I, of course, asked if they could sell a whole one and was told that if they had a price in their system for a whole packer they could sell one. So we went back to the meat dept where the gentleman I was talking to asked. The butcher told him that they came in already separated and all they received were the flats.

I think the man I was talking to was new in the area and that briskets were handled differently wherever he came from. Here's the bottom line - if you are in an area that sells just flats, ask if they have whole packers. You may just get lucky.

If you do get lucky, (And I'm talking about briskets here ), let us know.

I just bought a little packer at CostCo. But It would be awesome if they sold just points.

Comment

I was completely surprised to find one Costco in MI that sells Prime packers for <$3/lb, I was made aware of this by Powersmoke_80. It's about 2.5hr drive for me though. Other than that it is not common at all to find them in these parts either. It's actually quite a find to even find Choice flats in my local grocery store, they tell me they can't even get packers just like they told you, and even when they get flats no one buys them he says. I politely said something to the effect of 'yeah if you get 4 flats once every 6 months no one knows when to look for them, including me! If they were here consistently they'd be selling.' He said that's the problem, they can't stock them unless they'll sell and they won't sell unless they stock them consistently. He's taken my number twice to let me know and still no calls.

So I agree with you, if you're lucky enough to find a place that sells Prime packers then thank your lucky stars, otherwise it never hurts to ask. Be a pain in the butcher's butt and they might just get something in to finally make you shut up, which is fine by me.

Comment

I just had a friend of mine get a whole choice packer at a Costco in Houston last week for a BBQ last Sunday at about $2.50/lb. No prime was available. He picked it up on Thursday, trimmed and dry-brined, then I flew in on Saturday for the rub and overnight cook. He said he had several to choose from, but no prime. All they had were whole packers.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Every Costco I have been into in Western Washington carries Prime Packers and the price is between $2.79 and $2.99 per pound. I cannot imagine why Costco in Houston (or anywhere in Texas) wouldn't carry Prime Packers regularly.

This is good to know ... I'll chat with my friend, the Costco meat buyer, about this. Bottom line, the SKU for a prime packer is in the Costco system. And they stock the packers consistently in many locations. So, the issue is not that they don't stock packers and they don't have a SKU to sell them. I'll let you guys know.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I wonder how big a case is .... I've ordered a whole case of pig leg/ham before :-)

• GadjetGriller
          GadjetGriller commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow! ecowper Did you cure it yourself? I found a whole uncured ham last year almost bought it. Decided to go home and see how to prepare it. Needless to say I didn't buy it way to much work to cure it myself! (Have I mentioned I'm lazy??)

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          GadjetGriller turns out a case of whole ham is two hams :-) ... yes, I cured and smoked it myself. My big ice chest can hold an entire bone in leg, it turns out.

I picked this one up today at Costco. She's a small one. But I got the brine going now. I am going to rip the KEG on Sunday....all day. I think I am going to run at about 225 F the whole cook. I usually cook at 275 F. Cant wait!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1462.JPG
Views:	911
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	241154

Comment

Spinaker looks good brother .... What do you figure it will take on the Keg? 12 hours? This big mother I've got is gonna be 14 hours on the WSM, pretty sure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9674.JPG
Views:	569
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	241160

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Thats a biggin'. I bet mine will take about 10-12 hours. Butcher paper wrap at 185 F

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, figure I will wrap mine somewhere around 180-185 ... once the bark is set good. It was 16.5 lbs before I trimmed ... now it's just under 13 lbs

The Costco here in Lubbock used to carry Choice Whole briskets, Then the drought happened and the price went up high. they stopped carrying them at all. Then after a few months they showed backup, but they were prime now? I kept waiting for the Choice to come back and nothing so finally I caught one of the butchers out putting out other meats and ask him if they were gonna carry Choice anymore. He said no that they didn't sell all anybody wanted and ordered was the Prime. So now they only carry the prime. But the price has come down to 2.49 a# sometimes now its 2.99 a # still not to bad. (Liked the 2.29 choice better though)

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd kill for $2.49/lb for a prime packer

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Thats usually our going rate for Prime here in MN. (Costco) ecowper

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Best I get it for in WA is $2.79/lb

RonB were are you located at?

Comment

• GadjetGriller
            GadjetGriller commented
            Editing a comment
            if your talking to me I'm in Lubbock Tx (west Texas, South plains)

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            ecowper - central VA

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            RonB passing that along, too. Not sure it will help get Prime Packers in your costco, but worth a try.

Alright, talked to my buddy at Costco .... here's some info

1. What type of brisket each Costco will carry is heavily dependent on region. Each region has different demands and stocks to meet them.
          2. Any Costco can stock Prime Packer Brisket. If the meat guys at HQ believe it will sell at that Costco, they push it out to them. Otherwise, the local Costco has to order it (and sell it) and they are on the hook for it. That's why they would only sell you a Prime Packer if you are willing to buy the whole case.
          3. Surprisingly, whole packers don't do well in Texas.

I'm giving him the packing slip off my latest Packer, he will find out how big a case would be and provide all the info so that you can provide it to your Costco butcher shop, if you want.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm going with what a Costco meat buyer is telling me ... he says that in most of Texas, they don't even try to stock packers

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I wonder what they would hit for on case of Prime Packers. I would love to buy one just to say I did it!!

• mgaretz
            mgaretz commented
            Editing a comment
            Not just the region. I have two near me and one carries prime packers, the other doesn't carry packers at all and only choice flats. Even between these two availability is spotty.

I asked the meat guy at my local Costco if they had bone in pork butt. No. Can you save me a few before you debone them? He said everything they get comes already packaged and he wishes they could do some custom butchery but they are not allowed due to the fact that everything that comes in has a predetermined price. Here in AZ Costco sells prime packers all day long at $2.99 / lb. They do not seperate the point ever at all in the store. Here's the weird part, if you just want a choice flat, you will be paying over $5.00 / lb. Of course I suffer thru with the prime cut with point on it.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't think I've ever seen pork butts with the bone still in at Costco. That's okay, I like their butts with no bone.

• badf00d
            badf00d commented
            Editing a comment
            It's interesting to me that Costco varies so much across the country. At my local Costco we get Prime packers and pork butts with the shoulder bone, but can't get plate beef ribs.

• mgaretz
            mgaretz commented
            Editing a comment
            Usually I only buy boneless, but the butts I picked up at Sam's the other day were bone-in (I thought they were boneless and felt for the bone in the store - the bones only appeared when I got them home). I deboned them before vacuum packing and freezing them.

Sams Club has a pretty great deal. it doesn't indicate grade though. $2.39/lb

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here