Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stubborn Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang. I need to smoke a brisket again or I am going to go crazy!! Those are great looking briskets

Comment

David Parrish I'm not so sure about the butcher paper thing . It seems to trace back to Aaron Franklin but everyone forgets that Aaron cooks at 275 on an offset smoker with a whole lot of airflow compared to most of us who are cooking at 225 on kettles, WSMs, pellet burners and anything other than a stickburner. There's not a lot of airflow on those cookers compared to an offset burning logs and generating that thin blue smoke.

I can see that if you have a lot of air going through the cooker you need to wrap the meat in the later stages of cooking(Aaron wraps after he has the bark where he wants it) to keep it from drying out but I'm not sure that applies when you're cooking at 225 with relatively little air passing through the cooker. I don't think you experienced a second stall, you just insulated the brisket with the paper and kept it from coming up to temp as it would have if it wasn't wrapped at your temp and airflow.

That's just my take on the situation. I could be totally off the wall on this, it wouldn't be the first(or last) time I missed the boat. But it seems to make sense to me.

What do you think?

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Your reasoning makes sense to me @billg71

I've never wrapped myself, but my brisket experience is limited.

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmmm... I don't wrap because I cook on a BGE that has good airflow and Kamado's are famous for retaining moister in your meat.

Originally posted by billg71 View Post
      David Parrish I'm not so sure about the butcher paper thing . It seems to trace back to Aaron Franklin but everyone forgets that Aaron cooks at 275 on an offset smoker with a whole lot of airflow compared to most of us who are cooking at 225 on kettles, WSMs, pellet burners and anything other than a stickburner. There's not a lot of airflow on those cookers compared to an offset burning logs and generating that thin blue smoke.

I can see that if you have a lot of air going through the cooker you need to wrap the meat in the later stages of cooking(Aaron wraps after he has the bark where he wants it) to keep it from drying out but I'm not sure that applies when you're cooking at 225 with relatively little air passing through the cooker. I don't think you experienced a second stall, you just insulated the brisket with the paper and kept it from coming up to temp as it would have if it wasn't wrapped at your temp and airflow.

That's just my take on the situation. I could be totally off the wall on this, it wouldn't be the first(or last) time I missed the boat. But it seems to make sense to me.

What do you think?
      I think it was a still a stall but at this point we're almost saying the saying the same thing. The butcher paper may have had a bit of an insulating affect between the meat and the heat but I think moreso it acted like a sweatshirt. You know how those fancy sportshirts nowadays wick moisture away from the body to help you cool off while you're working out? The butcher paper did the same thing.

Comment

Re the smoke ring... I haven't experimented with this since I'm a newb and have only done one brisket, but I believe Meathead (in his new book) has an excellent section on increasing smoke ring. The points that I recall being most important are putting cold meat into the cooker, not warm. This encourages moisture condensation on the meat which absorbs the smoke. Second, don't use anything that might be a barrier to the smoke getting to the meat ...no oil. I'll let you know later how it goes after I follow my own plagiarized advice ... (Thanks, Meathead - We just moved ...haven't gotten back into the BBQ'ing yet... everything is jammed up in the garage and not reachable yet!)

Brian

Comment

Hmmm... I can be of no help in that I've never wrapped a brisket while it's in the smoker. I like the bark and if it gets a little crisp on the surface all the better.😜 I've experienced a double stall a couple of times over the last 5 years but it's very unusual. The longest cook time I've ever experienced for a brisket was 18 hours. Both times I had a double stall... I changed nothing, I just waited it out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here