Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Close to Katz Pastrami,need you opinion plz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close to Katz Pastrami,need you opinion plz

Hello,i need your opinion one more time about a brisket that i just purchased. Its the point part and its will be my first time ever cooking a brisket. So i want to make the Close to Katz pastrami recipe and i have some question about my brisket. First do you think there enough fat on top of it? Meathead says that we should let 1/8" of fat on the of the brisket but my butcher have remove it without asking me first. Second,he tied my brisket with a string,do i keep the string on or remove it before curing the meat?!

Thx guys
    Attached Files

You should be OK without the fat. I prefer no fat over a thick layer of fat. Next time, make sure your butcher understands you want to leave a thin 1/8" layer. Undo the string for curing so all the meat is exposed.

Comment

Max Good ok thx, since its my first time buying a brisket i tought the butcher would i leave the cap of fat,when he shown me the piece the fat was there. But i was wrong i guess haha. Next time i know exacly what to ask!

Comment

Meathead's Pastrami is one of my favorite recipes. You're in for a real taste treat!

Comment

When I make a mistake with trimming or want to protect something that should not have been trimmed too close I use the old back up plan - I make a layer of bacon over the area where fat should have been. Since I have not had Meathead's Katz' pastrami I don't know if the bacon will adversely effect what you are trying to accomplish. Reminder about cooking with bacon - you definitely can't go too high for too long with it. Also, it can adversely effect the crust. When I put bacon on meat that I am trying to protect but want crust, I typically take the bacon off a couple hours earlier than the pull time. I judge whether or not I will need to reapply some rub to the top of the meat. For long cooks I sometimes go through a couple of packs of bacon because I will pull cooked bacon and reapply another layer. I think you should cook it straight the first time as Max said and if you find that you could have used more fat but have the same butcher problems, try the bacon advice next time.

Comment

Take a look at this thread: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...rami-perfected The shorties that were used did hot have the fat cap that a brisket has. I think you will be good using the cut you have for the recipe you want. You might want to post your photo to that thread and ask the Pit Boss if he would treat the brisket you have like his short ribs.

Comment

• GutscranK
              GutscranK commented
              Editing a comment
              Thx man. In fact i already post on this thread to ask some question,now im waiting for a answer

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here