Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse Sear Fillet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse Sear Fillet

Tried reading thru comments to see if there was an answer...
    I am going to be cooking some fillets - probably 8ozers so about 2". Was thinking to put them in my smoker @225 until IT hits 110-115. I will already have my Weber Genesis gas going on HHH and will move the fillets to it. Figure I would put a grill across the flavorizer bars to get closer to the heat? Flip them every minute or two until colored up/135 IT.

Never specifically heard of anyone doing that, but I'm sure it's been done. You may want to rotate/spin them every 15-20 sec, and flip often to make sure you're ok.

Comment

Sounds like a good plan. Let us know how the searing works for you. Do you happen to have GrillGrates? If so, flip them upside down and use them instead of a regular grill on your gasser.

Comment

No GrillGrates...pretty new to all this and just learning. And while thinking about this I would imagine that I can get my weber down to 225 to do it all on the grill. Just turn on one burner...

Comment

Yes you can definitely do it all on the gasser! And 225 isn't required, I just do mine indirect (one or two burners lit) to direct. Only thing you lose is that wood flavor, which I don't particularly need on filets. After Indirect I always put some oil with rub mixed in before it goes on direct, helps to get the temp up and char!

I was in the same boat when we went to hawaii... the place we stayed at had a weber genesis. I had some 2" costco prime ribeyes, and salted them and put on indirect, then finished with EVOO and lots of pepper in there. Turned out excellent!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5115.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	236479Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5112.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	236480

Comment

Hmmm... if you want to cheat.😡 Bake them in your kitchen oven elevated on a cooling rack on a sheet pan until they get to 115°. While they are baking fill your charcoal starter 2/3's full and get the briquettes red hot.

When you take the steaks out of the oven blot them dry with a paper towel and put some beef love or canola oil on them. Then put a grate over your charcoal starter and sear them on there.👍 I always sear on my charcoal starter after I Sous Vide Tri Tips. It's just so quick and easy. Plus cleaning up a charcoal starter is easy peasy.

Comment

• rmeugene
              rmeugene commented
              Editing a comment
              No charcoal starter for me. I know...I know...I might convert at some point from the electric smoker and push to start gas grill but for now...

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              We all have different cookers and they all work. That's what's great about AR, they don't discriminate against any type of cooker. Making what you have work for each type of cook makes a better outdoor cook. Good luck on this cook.👍

So I just did a test and I put my mav probe in the top shelf grate of my gasser and started the furthest burner away at low and it maintains 228! So it looks like I can just try that route. So up to 110-115 like that and then onto the grill laid on top of the flavorizers until 135! Doing my own birthday dinner tonight for the wife, son and his fiance! Hey...why am I cooking!

Comment

• Dr ROK
              Dr ROK commented
              Editing a comment
              Happy B-Day!

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Ditto what Dr ROK said...🍷

• bbqoaf
              bbqoaf commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice, this is a good method for steaks. I prefer steaks and beef roasts without wood smoke at all, I save wood smoke for for briskests, short ribs and meat balls.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here