Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck Roast on a gas grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck Roast on a gas grill

Hi All
    I have to cook chucks roasts on Friday for Nachos for guest on Saturday. Wife set this up without asking me. Arrgh no time to practice. Her comment was "you've done them on a Holland what's your problem" I say a Holland cooks at 400 deg. period. No temperature control , and it took me three try's before I got it right. She just shrugs and smiles. Sigh. I don't have the Holland here and will be cooking on a four burner gas grill. So any advice on external temp., water in a pan under the grate, or anything else will be most appreciated. I'm just hoping to learn from you all since I don't have any practice time.

I will be cooking for 4 hungry adults and figured I need 5-6 lbs. of meat do to shrinkage what do you all think. Also would it be better to have 2 three pound chucks or 1 six pounder.

Thanks for your help in advance
    Everyday

Don't know whether you can get your gasser down into smoking range, but if you can, and you have a way to add some chips for smoke, this is one of my favorite ways to do chuck roasts:

Beef makes a great BBQ sandwich but it tends to dry out during the cook. This three stage method using a Dutch oven keeps it tender, moist and flavorful.

Sorry if it turns out just to be a teaser.

Comment

First, you will get more bark with two chuckies. Second, if you don't have a box for wood chips to give you some smoke, make some foil packets with the wood chips. Third, I think, (but don't know for sure), that gassers allow more airflow, so a water pan might be beneficial. I'm sure someone with gasser experience will chime in.
      You should be OK if you can control the temp. Try to allow some time for a rest in a faux cambro though.

Comment

Hi, Everyday !

You sure can smoke a chuckie on a gasser. Just set it up the way Meathead shows you here:

You can set up a gas grill to get excellent smoke roasted barbecue if you know how. Here's how gas grills work, the best setups, and how to maintain them.

I smoked several briskets, ribs, etc. on my gasser before I got my smokers.

As far as time goes, smoking is more a function of the thickness of the meat rather than the weight. If you smoke it at 250 or so on your gasser and give it some time to rest, it should be done with time to spare.

Here's a topic on chuck roast timing:

I'm going to smoke a 3lb chuck roast without wrapping. I normally start cooks around 10-12 pm for overnight. This has worked for me well with butts and brisket that

Have fun with that cook!

Kathryn

Comment

Here is my last chuck cook on my Weber Genesis.

Hey all, I cooked some smoked pulled chuck this weekend! I used the process from Pit Boss : http://www.abcbarbecue.com/pulled-beef-chuck-roast I started

Comment

You can do eet! I too would opt for two 3lbers instead of one 6. That will be more than enough meat for 4 people so I think you're plenty good there. The links the other good members have given you will explain this too but here's what I'd do:
            Dry brine them 24hrs+ in advance.
            If you can rig up a water pan under them, so much the better.
            Don't be afraid to really put the smoke to it especially in the beginning of the cook.
            Wrap tight in a double layer of foil when they start coming out of the stall (170-180 or so)
            Take them to 205-209 IT & hold them there an hour still wrapped, then give them a faux cambro rest for another hour or three. You'll love it!

Comment

Thank you all so much. these responses are very helpful and what I was looking for. a couple more questions though.
              1. should I try and maintain 250 degrees at grate level for the whole cook.
              2.would it be better to put the water pan on the flavor bars closer to the heat source or maybe it doesn't matter?
              3. Huskee to hold the it at 205-209 for an hour how low should I reduce the grate temp?

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Lower it to no higher than that, then the meat can't get higher, toward the boiling point. Usually if you drop it to 180-190 the meat will stay where it's at for an hour or so.

1) hold it at 250 the whole cook

2) I put water pans under the chuckies directly on the flavor bars, which were over burners that were turned off or on low. I put another water pan on the grill grates over the one burner that was being run to maintain 250. But I think you can just put water pans over all the flavor bars/burners, put the grates on, and keep the chuckies on the indirect side. Watch out they don't run dry though, especially the one over the lit burner(s).

3) by "hold them" I think Huskee means keep them wrapped in the foil and then wrapped in a towel and held in a beer/soda cooler (faux cambro) until serving time.

Comment

You guys are the best. I'm now excited about this cook. I have every expectation this will now turn out awesome. I did an hour dry run and was able to maintain 255 grate temperature. The butcher is online for 2 - 2.75# roast 3" thick and I just finished the BBBR. It looks like all systems go.

Once again you guys have pulled my fat out of the fire
                Thank you all
                Everyday

Comment

Your price for this help, of course, is a few pics of the end result! Good luck!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	chuck cook 11-3-16 large.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	236506 Here it is Stevo, if all went well, you should see my chucky,s salted and ready to dry brine. If this picture worked more will follow tomorrow as it cooks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here