Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri Tip like Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri Tip like Brisket

Cooked a Tri Tip on the Memphis Pellet Grill yesterday. Smoked it like a Brisket. 225 degrees until it hit 160 then foiled it until it hit 200. Gave it the 1 hour rest as the pellet grill cooked down. Very tender and still had the great Tri Tip taste. Another way besides reverse searing to make Tri Tip. Click image for larger version

Name:	Tri Tip cooked like a Brisket.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	235514

Looks great, Skip! Enjoy. I found a Tri-Tip in Omaha today. We'll see what I can come up with!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Great feedback. I'd have guessed it would toughen up, learn something new every day.

Comment

Skip - that's exactly how I have been making it for years. It looks delicious. I have two on the grill right now. If I want to bring on the wrath of the Amazing Ribs Gods (please don't judge me Dr. Blonder) - I have found that searing it for about 3 minutes per side - front, back and sides - before smoking - makes it plump up more during the smoking process. I know that's sacrilegious to say here, but it comes from a zillion years (OK - only since the early 80's) of experience. Maybe it's because I am treating it more like a roast than a steak. I don't even use a thermo in the meat. I never smoke it at temps above 225. I pull based on how it bends - usually at about 4 hours. I've tried the Sous Vide method based upon tips here. It has turned out really good, too.
          Last edited by tbob4; October 31, 2016, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll post a pic of mine tonight (about 7pm Pacific Time) for you. I'll also let you know what the internal temp was when I pulled it. With brisket and butt I pull based on internal thermometer temp. Ribs and tri-tip are time/cooking temp/feel cooks for me.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol you guys. There's no "shouldn't", there's just 'best results come from' expereinces. I'd have recommended against taking TT to 203, but this once again proves there's no single right way for many things.

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Skip don't ever fear anything here in the pit. We are all here to help one another. If you can bring anything to the table here it will be more than welcomed. By the way nice cook.

Oh man, that's great and I definitely have your back on this one! I've done TT's both ways with excellent results. It can be a versatile cut of meat.

Comment

Looks yum! What did you use for rub?

Comment

• Skip
              Skip commented
              Editing a comment
              Dry brine with Kosher Salt overnight and then added Big Bad Beef Rub.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tri Tip 1.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	235600Click image for larger version

Name:	Tri Tip 2.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	235601

Pull temp was 153.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here