Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Testing, Round steak roll.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing, Round steak roll.

I cant go 7 days without a smoke, that makes one week. Thought I'd try something unusual. Round steak roll.

Looks good, especially since I didn't have to tie it.

I did a 9+ pound butt yesterday. It got DEVOURED.

I split it at the membrane where they pull apart....turned out some sweet bark.

What is that diaper you have it sitting on?

Comment

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      What? Do you have an issue with recycling?

(thats the paper the Jacks Market wraps meat in)
      Last edited by Jon Solberg; October 5, 2014, 10:20 AM.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      "depends" (pun alert) if it was no. 1 or no. 2....with respect to the recycling...

Comment

Looks to be off to a good start. Nice job on the tie up. What are you cooking on Jon, WSM? Very interested to see how it turns out

Comment

Can't wait to see the finished product

Comment

Thanks fellas. I should have described a bit more at the start. Here's a bit of the method.

2 lbs round steak

Dry brine 3 hours. Its only 3/4" think so I figured I'm okay

Grabbed 3 TBS MD because it was handy, added 1 TSP cayenne powder

Oiled with no stick spray

WSM 18", water in, 225 degrees

4 oz hickory chips at start

Its actually sitting in a stall right now. I thought maybe that because of the layers of meat it wouldnt. Not to mention its only 2 lbs.

Comment

Not to mention its only 2 lbs.
            they learn early

Comment

I let the IT get to 180, the outer layer is pretty dead. I'm going to throw this in the food processor with some celery, onions and mayo and make some sandwich spread. In other words don't try this at home.

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
              T.S.Eliot

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
                T.S.Eliot

YEP. You don't know till you try

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                  Jon Solberg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Its going to be awesome on a sandwich. [smiley in sunglasses]

Comment

that was a good idea though... there has to be a way to do it

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                    Jon Solberg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It lean, I think if I pulled it at 140 ish it may have worked. Taste was there just way over done.

• smarkley
                    smarkley commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The reason I am curious is, I would like to try something like this I think... Might be fun to roll something up inside and wrap with bacon too. -- the temps would really change then, I suppose

• Jon Solberg
                    Jon Solberg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think if you rolled up bacon in there with something, wrapped it in bacon and took it to a safe bacon IT you'd have a winner.
                    Last edited by Jon Solberg; October 5, 2014, 08:12 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here