Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rethinking Close to Katz's Pastrami?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rethinking Close to Katz's Pastrami?

So I was thinking about making another pastrami, and remembered all we learned form Doc Blonder about rubs being left on the meat not having much of an effect except for the salt. With pastrami, there's no salt in the rub because the meat has already been brined and has too much salt. (In fact we soak it in water for a day to reduce the salt.)

MH's recipe calls for applying the rub, wrapping tightly and refrigerating for a day or more before smoking. But does it make a difference? Can we rub and smoke on the same day?

I responded earlier but it did not post. I make this pastrami frequently using a store bought corned beef brisket. I never rub it in advance and I would say it turns out amazing. I can't see it making it much better.

Comment

It stands to reason to me, that even though the particles in the rub may not penetrate very far, they still will do more good with prolonged contact than not. They will in effect create somewhat of a marinade or paste when meat juices meld with it. Maybe they don't go far in, but more gets in with more time.

Comment

I have done this recipe it's better if you wait a couple days.... I have done it with both store bought and with my own corned beef!

Comment

Meathead says in the recipe that he doesn't usually recommend letting the rub sit for a long time, but in the case of this recipe it makes a positive difference.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here