Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little Advice....how long can I hold out my Brisky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little Advice....how long can I hold out my Brisky?

Hello everyone, finally got a full packer from Costco and went with Prime grade over Choice. Seems very flexible in the vacuum pack so hopefully that's a good sign?! Anyway, it was bought with a pack date of 9/26 and "use by" date of 10/3. I'm hoping to wet brine a bit longer until my son's bday party around 10/15 - 10/16. So far I see no punctures or holes anywhere in the packaging. I'm holding it in basement fridge where it does not get disturbed much at all. I've been reading the package surface temp with my Thermoworks IR gun and it typically reads about 32-35 degrees based on where I shoot it. It's not frozen so my guess is I'm above 32.

Have seen lots of posts in various areas saying not to let it go more than a week or so past use by date, but the brisket recipe here on the site talks about people holding them in the plastic pack for 50 days or so. Based on what I've stated, do you think I should be ok holding out another 10-12 days?

Is there anything I can be looking for when I check the meat along the way? I assume if I open it up I'll know for sure if it's bad by the smell and/or color? Looking for some advice as I hate to waste this one as it looks good and is a nice size at 15 lb. But, I also want to try and wait to cook it for our party. Thank you!

-Nick

30-40 days from the packing date is what I go by.

Welcome to the Pit!!!!!

Comment

I'm with Jerod. I usually take mine for 30 to 40 days. I have gone up to 60 before. Just keep it cool and you'll be fine. If the bags starts too balloon, throw it out. I had one do that a few briskets back. Don't even open it, just throw it out. I have done a lot of briskets this way and that was the only one that I have had go bad on me.

Comment

plenty of time! 30-45 days will do wonders as long as it's completely sealed! i usually go a week or two with bone-in cuts. Shouldnt be any huge swing in smell after 10 days, but if you take it out 30 days or more it has a distinct smell to it. Good luck!

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          That sweet sweet smell. And you know what I'm talking about!!

Seems like a long time for wet brining? If I read correctly.

Comment

• NMetz
          NMetz commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, meant to say "wet aging"...sorry.

Thanks all. I'll keep an eye out....appreciate the balloon comment Spinaker as I've not seen that before. What does that mean is happening in there?

Comment

Don't forget to dry brine at least two days before you smoke it - maybe 3 days.

Comment

• NMetz
            NMetz commented
            Editing a comment
            Planned to rub and keep it refrigerated for about 24 hrs. Not long enough? Hopefully it'll work ok. Thanks!

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            You can add rub in advance or not, but you should dry brine in advance. If your rub contains salt, then rub in advance to allow the salt in the rub to penetrate as deeply as possible. Do not dry brine if your rub contains salt.

Welcome NMetz

Comment

It must work differently down south, all of the briskets I can find up here in Canadian-Land are already 28 day aged. I always cook them within a few days of buying them and they are always great.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here