Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribeye - Hot and Fast over charcoal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribeye - Hot and Fast over charcoal

These were 1" thick angus ribeyes from my local grocer. I cooked them very close to the coals for about 5 minutes, flipping every minute or less, then let them go for about 2 minutes over medium heat (coals far away from the meat). I'd be happy to have eaten this steak at the highest end steakhouse.

As far as prep they got salted about 5 hours prior to the cook. After the cook I rubbed a little butter on them then lightly sprinkled them with fresh cracked pepper. They had a nice char taste to them with a burst of beef flavor after the initial bite. May be some of the best sear in the front steaks I've made (or eaten). Pics!

Coals are nice and fired up right before the steaks went on
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4903.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	22699

Steaks after one minute on the grill and the first flip

Name:	IMG_4905.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	22702

Steaks after coming off the grill. This was a very low light pic. The steaks were not as blackened as they appear.

Name:	IMG_4907.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	22700

Plated with a coat of butter and sprinkling of black pepper.

Name:	IMG_4912.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	22701

As you can see the frequent flipping makes for a nice wall to wall red center.

Name:	IMG_4915.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	22703

Awesome!!! How do you get the coals so close?

Comment

Originally posted by W.A. View Post
      Awesome!!! How do you get the coals so close?

I cooked them on a Hasty Bake Gourmet 256 grill, which is designed so the firebox can be raised and lowered. I raised the coals up as close to the grate as possible for the sear then lowered the coals about 10" for the brief warming time after the sear. If you check out my signature there is a link to the Hasty Bake article.

Comment

Thanks. I have to look into that grill now.

Comment

Originally posted by W.A. View Post
          Thanks. I have to look into that grill now.

It's Meathead's favorite grill. Period. I bought MH's favorite smoker (Mak 2) and his favorite grill. I'm very glad I did.

Comment

Hatin'.

That is all.

Comment

Yupppp.

Comment

Wow, it doesn't get better than that! I'm drewling over that Hasty bake. Can't seem to find too many retailers though.

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik View Post
                  Wow, it doesn't get better than that! I'm drewling over that Hasty bake. Can't seem to find too many retailers though.

Thanks! Amazon sells them but I'm not sure how well that'll work for you on your side of the pond (Atlantic Ocean). They sell direct from manufacturer and are REALLY nice people. You should give them a call and see what the options they have for shipping. If you call please tell them we sent you

Comment

Great looking Steaks Dave. I really like them that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Marauderer View Post
                      Great looking Steaks Dave. I really like them that way.

Thank you Sir. You and me both!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here