Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freeze Brisket For Thanksgiving?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeze Brisket For Thanksgiving?!?!

Good news. I stopped by my local butcher. He started to carry Iowa Premium beef. Had a bunch of packer briskets on sale for $3.49/lb. I got talking to him and he said he sold most but had 4 large ones - he feared he would have a tougher time selling - they were 16-18lbs.

He offered me one of them for $2.49/lb. Of course I jumped on it and bought the smallest one ~ 16.25 lbs. Looks great - nice marbling. He said they were upper Choice, Black Angus. I also bought a nice IPB flat - to practice on my KBQ.

Now the dilemma... I would like to serve the Iowa Premium at Thanksgiving. The process date on the brisket was Sept. 16 - and I am wet aging for a few weeks.

I don't think I can age at until Thanksgiving (and my wife says she needs my help with cooking Turkey and other stuff Thanksgiving day...).

So, my choices as far as I can tell are:

1) In a few weeks, after the wet age, smoke the whole thing and quickly freeze until Nov 25.
    2) Freeze in a few weeks and smoke the brisket the day/night before.

So friends, freezing this fine brisket is a given. The question is - smoke it then freeze or freeze, thaw then smoke the day before.

Thems my choices...

I have Googled quite a bit. Some say freezing raw has little or no effect, some say it makes it "squishy". Some say smoke until "almost" done, freeze, then that and gently bring up to 204... Some say go all the way and just gently reheat.

Help!!!!

Thanks in advance.

I think the Sous Vide folks (if you have a machine) may help you here. It's likely ideal since you are going to be helping with the other meals and I would be interested in what they have to suggest.

Comment

I'd wet-age for a few weeks. Take out and trim and dry brine brine for three days . Then apply rub, seal up and freeze. Then you can go straight from the freezer to the smoker. Add 2 or so hours to cook time.

Comment

Were it me, I'd definitely age/freeze uncooked, until showtime. Then, make with The Magic!

Comment

Like Jerod Broussard said. Let the packer age, then trim/brine, rub and then freeze. It won't hurt if you go straight from freezer to the smoker, or if you defrost for a day.

If you cook and then freeze, you will end up with frozen leftovers. I really don't think you will want that.

Comment

If I'm picking from your options it is #2 all the way. Jerod's option is even better but to be honest I've not tried that myself.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here