Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to get my hands on brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to get my hands on brisket

I am looking to get Brisket here in Europe and am getting some confusing information from my meat company.

This first picture a brisket from Uruguay. Does this look like a whole brisket (flat and point)?

The second picture is from a brisket from the USA. They say it's the point end but seems to me that this is the flat (maybe with the point, but def not just the point end), am I correct?

Attached Files

Top one looks like a flat, kinda short... they didn't leave you much cap. The bottom pic looks like a full packer. Just curious what they weighed? Im no butcher though. Ive seen butchers have their own 'take' on the cut and through the vac pac it may be harder to decipher. What you are looking for is that fat cap all the way down the cut, then the flat muscle directly attached. The deckle muscle will be along the 'top', with the grain running in a different direction to the flat and the deckle is also separated by a thick band of fat which usually tapers off down towards the south end of the flat muscle. I don't have a diagram but Im betting some of the fine folks on here have some pictures to help explain what you should be looking for and something you can show your butcher. There is a good chance a full packer brisket may not be a common cut across the pond but if you explain what you are looking for you can probably get it cut. Ill look for a diagram.

Comment

bottoms are full packers, top one looks a bit off, but may just be the uruguyan version of a usa brisket!

Comment

You might print this out, or show it to your butcher online.

Beef Brisket info, Meat Buyers Guide specs & recipes. There are many popular methods of preparing brisket which affect its yield and flavor.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here