Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First attempt at beef ribs -fat question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First attempt at beef ribs -fat question

Tried beef ribs on the PBC today. Tasted great but the ribs were just too fatty. Is that common with beef ribs or did I just get a bad cut (9 bucks at Walmart, you get what you pay for)

Can't upload a pic from phone, I'll upload a picture later

Pat

ptehan That is normal. I made the same error the first time I cooked them as well. I didn't hardly trim them at all and they were way too fatty. Now I trim them way down, more than I do with brisket. ID say less than a 1/4 inch left on the fat when I am done trimming.

Comment

I also did beef ribs for the first time yesterday.. Mine were chuck ribs not back ribs , so there was plenty of fat on the racks.. I trimmed almost all of the fat off them. Dry brined and then rubbed. Treated it like a Brisket , but I didn't wrap when the meat hit 160(about 2 hrs) instead I sauced and laid them on the grate meat side up (another 2.5 hrs) Took them off when they hit 195. The only problem with this method is that you can only cook 8-9 ribs and the meat really shrinks so I could only feed 4 people Came out great ! Sorry no pictures

Comment

Yeah, I trim them up pretty good before cooking. There is plenty of intramuscular fat in beef ribs so they stay moist.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here