Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Short Rib Food Safety Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Short Rib Food Safety Question

I purchased 10 pounds of beef short ribs on Tuesday evening from my local butcher with plans to smoke them on Saturday. However, it now needs to be pushed back a day to Sunday. Looking online most places recommend 3 to 5 days for refrigeration. Do you think 5 days is pushing it and cause for any food safety concerns? Normally this wouldn't be something I'm worried about, but having guests over for the first time that'd be a bad impression to leave on them.

Thanks in advance.

I think you will be fine. I leave steaks in the fridge uncovered for 5 days routinely. While dry brine is on.

However, for cooking for others there is always a risk.

Comment

You'l be fine. Salt now! Beef ribs love to brine for several days. Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
        You will be totally fine. I leave steaks in the fridge uncovered for 5 days routinely. While dry brineing
        Thanks!

Comment

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          You bet!

The only thing I would add is to get an ACCURATE fridge thermometer and make sure your fridge is as cold as you think it is, somewhere around 35F or 36F. Also, most fridges I've seen have "cool" and "cold" spots.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here