Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole Top Sirloin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole Top Sirloin

One of our grocery stores, Fareway Foods, is having a sale this week on whole top sirloins ($3.99/lb, avg 13-15 lbs). They will cut and wrap for free, so I am looking for suggestions on how to have it processed.

I would grab a 13 pounder... dry brine for a few hours... slap some oil and Big Bad Beef Rub on... cook to 130 internal and chow down!

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Not a half bad idea, but with just two of us at home it might take a month for us to eat the whole thing. Of course, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

So cut it and freeze the other parts you won't eat and have the others when you want. If you are going to smoke them like a brisket then you can brine and/or rub the other parts before you freeze them and go direct from Freezer to smoker. Will take an extra hour to get to your final temp but, it will be great!!
    Last edited by Marauderer; October 1, 2014, 03:57 PM.

Comment

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah... great idea. I keep forgetting about that technique. Once the kids leave, I will probably need it!

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      That is one heck of any idea. Normally we have the whole thing cut into steaks, but this time we want a couple of little roasts for Baltimore pit beef. I am definitely going to try brine & rub before freezing. It will save me some time in the long run and I will have less of a chance over cooking on my pos cos. Thanks again for the tip Marauderer!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here