Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

California pricing on USDA Choice Tri-Tips...πŸ‘Œ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

California pricing on USDA Choice Tri-Tips...πŸ‘Œ

You have to buy about a 20 pound package of them to get this pricing but for $2.99 per pound, who cares.😜
    Attached Files

i am not sure 40lbs would stop me from buying tri-tip at that price

Comment

• DeusDingo
      DeusDingo commented
      Editing a comment
      that's good work to have

• Atalanta
      Atalanta commented
      Editing a comment
      Breadhead - you can put frozen into the water bath? How do you judge the timing?

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Atalanta ... Yes, you can put them in the hot tub right out of the freezer. Your food will not over cook the temperature you've set your circulator to. I could put a tri tip in @131Β° and pull it out after 2 or 3 hours and sear it. Or, I can leave it for 24 hours and sear it.
      Time is not an issue.

Where did you find those? On my last visit to Costco i was shocked to actually find prime brisket for $2.99lb. I know in other states it was common but not in California around the Sf Bay Area. Bought a 14 pounder as soon as I saw it and plan to grab more in the future. In the past some sad looking flats cost $6-$7 lb.

Steve

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      I went to Smart & Final to buy skin on, bone-in, chicken thighs for $.99 per pound and then saw the Tri-Tips for $2.99 and got both.πŸ˜†

Great score!!

Comment

Untrimmed correct? There may be a good amount of fat on those puppies but that's still a great deal!

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes... Un trimmed. 38% off fall. Lots of free beef love.πŸ‘. Net cost per pound... $4.75 + free beef love. Net/net cost? About $4 per pound.

I trimmed them of the fat & silver skin. There was 38% off fall. 7.5 pounds of future Beef Love.πŸ‘ They came out to about 2.45 pounds per Tri-Tip after trimming. Net cost per pound after trimming, $4.75 per pound, and lots of free Beef Love.πŸ˜† $11.75 per Tri-Tip.

After trimming them I salted them for the dry brine process and vacuum sealed them in Sous Vide bags. I'll leave them all in the fridge overnight to dry brine and then tomorrow I'll put 4 of them in the freezer and 1 of them in the Sous Vide hot tub for dinner.πŸ‘
      Attached Files

Comment

I have been picking up choice tri-tip at Costco in Bellingham Washington for $3.69lb. In large packs like that. Then trimming and dry brining them with last for 24hrs before I vacuum pack them. Has been working out great

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Costco is my Go To meat source for sure!!! However USDA Choice at $2.99 per pound made my loyalty drift.πŸ™ˆ Plus this is Smart & Final's regular price.πŸ‘Œ

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          It would be interesting to see if dry brining before vs dry brining in the sv bag results in any differences in taste/texture.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Dr ROK ... I have that experiment under way now.πŸ‘

Originally posted by jbeck1986 View Post
        I have been picking up choice tri-tip at Costco in Bellingham Washington for $3.69lb. In large packs like that. Then trimming and dry brining them with last for 24hrs before I vacuum pack them. Has been working out great
        Go to Cash and Carry in Bellingham. Prices are insane ( I'm an overcharged Canadian).

Comment

• jbeck1986
          jbeck1986 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah but cash and carry is mostly select beef. I don't buy select beef. They have some choice beef but it's limited and it's not that cheap. Costco has good quality meat and is always reasonable.
          Last edited by jbeck1986; September 14, 2016, 03:38 PM.

• eddiecalder
          eddiecalder commented
          Editing a comment
          I've only been there once and it was mostly choice. Guess I got lucky.

Score !

Comment

Great score. Costco does me right but I wish they carried Tri-Tip up here.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here