Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib roast for pulled beef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rib roast for pulled beef?

I usually buy a whole lip on ribeye when they are on sale and cut it into three roast, cook one and freeze the other two for later. The first roast turned out tough and had some gristle so on the second roast I was going to try to make pulled beef.
    I was going to cook it like a chuck roast. Do you guys think this will work?

Yeah it will work. Just take it up to 200 F and it will pull nice and easy. People do it all the time. I have done it many times. Its awesome to up carrots, potatoes and onion in the drip pan below. Throw in some rosemary if you have it.

Comment

• (eclipse)
      (eclipse) commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Spinaker. I thought it should work and my google fu was letting me down!

Will work, but ribeye has less connective tissue than chuck and has more tender meat. You don't usually see steakhouse steaks being cooked like BBQ, because they generally don't need it. But should "need" be your guide?

Comment

It would just hurt my soul to take a ribeye past 125-130 F. Not sure I could make myself do it...

Comment

I guess I thought it "needed" a different cooking technique to make it edible. I usually like a challenge but I also know when to cut my losses on a bad piece of meat. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Personally, I'd cut the roasts into steaks before I used it for pulled beef.

Comment

Reconstruct that bad boy with some Moo Glue!

Comment

• (eclipse)
              (eclipse) commented
              Editing a comment
              Reconstructing might work and I have been wanting to try it. I think I would want to start with a better piece of meat for all that work. I have seen you mention this before, have you tried it yet?
              Last edited by (eclipse); September 13, 2016, 11:35 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here