Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Cook Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Cook Time

Hi everyone,

I stumbled across prime brisket at my local Costco for $2.50 per pound and of course had to buy a number of them. I've never cooked a whole brisket before, only flats. Typically when I cook my flats, it takes about 1 hour per pound to get to 203 cooking at 225-250. I'm wondering how long it will take to bring up to temp cooking at the same temps for a whole 12 lb brisket. It has already been trimmed on top so it looks I'll need to only trim a 1-2 lbs off this sucker. I know, I know....how long is hard to answer but does anyone have a ballpark idea? I need it to be done and resting by 1 pm for a group party. Thoughts/suggestions on starting time? Thanks all!

Oh and I'll be wrapping it at 150.
    Last edited by Smokey9721; September 8, 2016, 03:29 PM.

Hey Smokey9721 that is a helluva price, even for Costco! I hope you got a few.

Jerod Broussard may have a better answer than me, but here's mine. My rule for a packer is that I start cooking 16 hours before I want to serve. I expect the full packer to take 14 hours with wrapping. If it finishes earlier, I can hold it in my faux cambro longer. But I want to hold at least 1 hour, preferably two. That's my best answer ....

So, if I were you, I would be putting that brisket on at 225'ish around 11 PM the night before to have it off and resting at 1 PM.

Comment

here is my 2 cents (yeah I know you 'll want change back lol) Re peat after me "Probe Tender"!! I'm a big Alton Brown fan so give me a temp to cook to and I'm happy. However Brisket is a different animal! cook a Prime Brisket to 203 and it may be dry! at about 190 (Prime meat seems to be done earlier but not always lol) start probing the meat when it goes in easily and comes out clean Its done (like a hot knife though butter) there is a good chance that the prime stuff will be done in the mid 190's (then again they may not.) Brisket is about probe tender not internal temperature it took me a bunch of dry Briskets before I embraced that concept. Otherwise what ecowper said is dead on. Good Luck Remember Meat can sit in the Faux Cambro for 3 to 4 hours without any fall off in taste. (I've gone up to 5 and it was still hot!)

Comment

My first full packer goes on the Weber tonight and I was reviewing things today. Aaron Franklin sez to allow between 1.25 hrs and 1.5 hrs per pound for a full packer cooked between 225* and 250*. I hope this helps.
        Last edited by RonB; September 8, 2016, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Assuming, after he's got it all trimmed up, it will be about 10 lbs, which is pretty normal for a prime packer weighing 12 lb with some trimming already done, those numbers come pretty darn close to my "14 hours to cook" :-)

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          ecowper - yes you are right in the middle - should we start calling you Aaron??

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh heck no. I got this halfway figured out listening to him and Meathead. I've got no claim to be that good RonB

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here