Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second Brisket

My second Brisket turned out as good as as the first. Both were very good in my opinion, but probably not excellent when compared to the pros. I didn't change much from my first cook on this try. The differences will be explained below. Started out with 13.16 lb. prime packers cut.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket 1.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	218661

Name:	Brisket 2.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	218662

Name:	Brisket 3.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	218663

After trimming, I injected with homemade beef broth and applied a rub. On my previous cook, I found the dalmatian rub to be much too salty, so I came up with my own recipe. It is a variation of the rub that Meathead recommends on brisket. Here is the recipe:

3 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon sea salt
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    2 teaspoons mustard powder
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    2 teaspoons mild New Mexico style chili powder
    1 teaspoon chipotle or cayenne powder

Name:	Brisket 4.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	218664

Name:	Brisket 5.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	218665

On my first cook, after I applied the rub, I let is sit at room temperature for a couple of hours and then put it on the smoker. This time I put the rub on the evening before and put the meat back in the refrigerator. Got up a 4 am and fired up the pellet smoker and put the brisket on, fat side down. Set smoker cook temp at 225° F and went back to bed. I again used GM Premium Texas Blend pellets. After 9 hours I applied the crutch. The internal temperature of the meat was about 161° F. Here is what the brisket looked like right before I applied the crutch.

Name:	Brisket 6.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	218666

After about 4 hours of cooking in the crutch, the internal temp was about 201° F. The brisket appeared to be done according to the probe test, based on my limited experience with it, so I took it out of the smoker and put it in the faux cambro.

Name:	Brisker 18.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	218667

After 2 hours of resting in the cooler, I took the brisket out and commenced to slice it up.

Name:	Brisket 8.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	218668

Name:	Brisket 7.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	218669

Beginning to slice the flat.

Name:	Brisket 11.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	218670

Then sliced the point as a prelude to chopping. Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket 14.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	218671

The finished products. Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket 17.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	218672

man that looks good

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

That looks good enough to eat.

Comment

Wow, it's only 9:30 AM and I'm starving after looking at your brisket pics! Awesome smoke ring.

Comment

A very nice cook indeed. Congrats!

Kathryn

Comment

I wish there was a drool button

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

I envy you guys that can get any prime grade beef for $2.99 lb. Costco in California will only have flats, choice grade, and close to $7.00 a pound Same for Tri-tips, but you can get some bulk packaged tri-tip in a prime grade for about $6.00 a pound but the package is usually about $80.00. At least at $2.99 lb you can afford to experiment a bit. We can't even get prime grade brisket at any cost at our Costco's in the SF area. Enjoy those cuts they look great.

Steve B

Comment

• Mitchl
                    Mitchl commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I just got a prime packer from Costco in Vacaville Ca for 2.69 a lb. Dry brining now.

Yea this past week I discovered my Costco in Antioch had full prime packers as well and I bought a 14 pounder. First time I have seen them in stores around me. Turned out great, still learning on my KBQ and finding I do not use the "clean" smoke setting at all.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Forgot to mention on this one (my second try but first in my KBQ) I never did wrap it. Took it out when the flat was reading 199 but at 195 I was still feeling some firm spots. They were gone at 199, I think the point was about 206 but still juicy. I let it sit wrapped for a couple hours before we tried it Next time in the KBQ I will try wrapping and see if there is a difference, but I am tempted now to grab another and try it in my WSM just for comparison. Does almost everyone crutch it?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here