Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilled Stuffed/Pinwheel Flank Steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled Stuffed/Pinwheel Flank Steak

As I eat a lot of meat on my low-carb diet, I'm always looking for easy but different ways of preparing. I remembered that Costco used to sell flank steak pinwheels, so I thought I'd give it a shot. My flank steak was two pieces at about 2 1/2 lbs I think. Used a 16 oz bag of thawed frozen chopped spinach, a cup of feta cheese, some rosemary, 1/4 c of diced onion sauteed and a few garlic cloves diced and sauteed, all mixed together. I tried to butterfly the flank steaks, but my skills aren't as good as I thought, so I ended up with holes/gaps. Undaunted, I spread the mixture on the steaks, rolled them up and tied.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0793.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	21758

As you can see, there are various places with the stuffing coming through. I had intended to slice them before grilling, but realized it just wasn't going to work that way. So I through them right on to direct heat and turned them 1/4 every few minutes.

Name:	IMG_0794.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	21759

They were getting a nice exterior char to them, but it was hard to gauge the internal temp because i kept hitting filling, which was much cooler than the meat around it.

Name:	IMG_0796.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	21760

When I cut into these, the centers were still uncooked. Not surprising. I had originally planned on 3/4-1" slices that would cook hot and fast, and now I was cooking to a center that was at least twice that. Not thinking too clearly, I first put them back on in 4 pieces.

Name:	IMG_0797.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	21761

(you can see here how evenly sliced my butterflying was...)

In the end, I sliced them down from here and put them back on the grill for a little bit longer, just to be sure

Name:	IMG_0798.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	21762
    Glad I did, as you can see some of the raw spots.

They ended up mighty tasty. Next time, I think I'll pound them thin instead of trying to butterfly them - same end result. I've seen these done with various fillings. May try some colored bell peppers & portabella mushrooms and I may do a marinade of some sort. Also, might dry brine them after pounding them.

Those look great TB . Gotta love a nice roulade!

Comment

• The Burn
      The Burn commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah, right, that's the fancy-pants term I couldn't think of :-)

Hello Burn...Stuffed Flank Steak is a Argentine dish called Matambre. In Brazil (Portuguese) it means "shoe leather" and in Argentina (Spanish) it means "hunger killer". Mat(ar) = to kill...(H)ambre = Hungry. Normally it is cooked/braised in an oven and is filled with carrots, hard boiled eggs, spinach, green olives, onions and herbs. If you search Matambre on Google you will find a lot of recipes.

I recently made matambre, but instead of in the oven, I slow smoked on my BGE @ 225deg for 7 hours to an internal temp of 195deg. I have a post from a few weeks ago about the cook. Usually in the US, we make pinwheels and cook fast like a steak, but matambre is meant to be cooked slow and until fork tender, so on a grill it is perfect for low and slow,and since it is removed from the short rib, I treated it like beef ribs.

I actually started with short ribs and the matambre was a side dish. The flank steak is part of the short rib and I had bought a whole short rib, which came with the flank steak (was cheaper buying together and the butcher gave me a discount). I separated the two and cooked separately.

For the flank steak (matambre), I butterflied it, added pork sausage with the casing removed, garlic, carrots, herbs and Gruyere cheese. I rolled it up, put a bacon weave around it and tied it off. I dry brined the flank steak for 24 hours before butterflying. I added the sausage in the middle and the bacon weave to keep the meat from drying out, as well as, adding more flavor. I also added some MBBBR to the outside.

Short Rib before cleaning

Name:	Beef Ribs 1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	21794

Short rib cleaned with flank steak removed

Name:	Beef Ribs 2.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	21796

On the smoker

Name:	Beef Ribs 3.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	21797

Finished product

Name:	Beef Ribs 4.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	21798

Comment

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      whew... what a beautiful piece of meat!

Nice, Mal! You got some skills and knowledge that I don't. And perhaps a bit more patience.

Comment

• Mal Passado
      Mal Passado commented
      Editing a comment
      Its not patience, I was cooking for my father-in-law who was visiting from Brazil. My wife lets me splurge on wine and better quality meat when he is in town. Plus, you have to keep the father-in-law in your good graces.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here