Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribeye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribeye

Fixed a ribeye for dinner yesterday, Thought I would upload pics so you can see what I did wrong all comments welcome as I am still learning. It is 2" thick dry brined overnight, then added BBBR. Was done on my modified COS at 225* with lots of mesquite chunks until internal temp reached 119* & reverse seared on the Grill2Go X200 at 650* for 4 min. per side. I didn't see much of a smoke ring for some reason. But tasted good.

. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0420.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	217045 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0421.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	290.2 KB
ID:	217046 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0423.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	217047

Not seeing anything to criticize there!

Comment

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks

Looks good! Your smoke ring probably got masked by the banding caused by the relatively long sear.

Comment

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks MBMorgan, I had not thought of that next time I will only do 2 min. & see what happens.

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll have to agree with MBMorgan. A shorter sear should do the trick. Otherwise it looks pretty darn good to me.

Grill marks are to a steak what a new paint job is to a car. Makes it look nice and spiffy, doesn't do Jack for the way it performs. I see a perfectly cooked, medium-rare steak, and the less you cook steak the better, juicier, more "mouth feel" (Ugh - hate that phrase) it is. I'm fairly certain Heinz and A-1 established their respective footholds because Americans used to cook their steaks to the texture of boot leather...then wanted a juicier steak.

P.S. Next time... Invite me over. I'll bring the beer.

Comment

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I like expensive beer nothing less than 6% & full bodied.
      Dave

• ExtraChrispy
      ExtraChrispy commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, I am FROM and live IN Colorado, home of the Great American Beer Festival. I'm pretty sure I can find something to suit your palate. Heck, we have more brew pubs per capita, than any other city in the nation, last time I checked. And no... I won't bring you any of the "herb."

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Then bring me some, hehehehe ExtraChrispy

Shorter sear should produce less banding, but perhaps a less well developed sear. Tradeoffs.

Comment

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks
      Dave

It looks great to me, but I do have a suggestion. I read somewhere that flipping every 30-60 sec will produce less grey banding on the outer edges. 4 min per side cooks the edges more than flipping will. BTW - I made the same m"mistake" on the last steak I grilled.

Comment

• ExtraChrispy
      ExtraChrispy commented
      Editing a comment
      FOUR MINUTES? You like your steak considerably more well done than I do, my friend. Two on the front, three on the back, that's it, it's done.

If you achieved the taste and texture you wanted then you had a successful cook. Agree with others who cite the long sear as the reason you have some gray banding (though even that is minimal). Sear to the temperature you want rather than for time. Flip often during the sear to get an even crust rather than grill marks. Of course, so much of what and how we cook is a matter of personal taste so if you love the appearance of grill marks and like a long sear let it rip and enjoy your rib eyes

Comment

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Reds Fan 5, As long as it's m/rare or just over I'm happy don't care about the grill marks but this little gaser runs very hot & I get them no mater what.

The thicker the meat the higher the initial IT you can get away with during the slow phase of reverse sear. So, let's say on the next 2" ribeye instead of 119, you take it up to 125 if you're looking for 135, for example. Or 128. This requires less time & energy to get the center where you want, less energy applied to the exterior, and therefore less overcooked exterior layer. Sometimes this results in less of a sear, other times you can time it right and all is well in steaklandia.

Comment

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee, I try for M/rear but I will try 125 with a short sear & I always have my steak cu 2-21/4" I don't have any luck with a thin steak. Besides this way there are leftovers hehehehe
      Dave

Nothing wrong there, and that qualifies as a Cowboy Steak in my book. 130F would be the ideal final IT for me, so I think you do an outstanding job!

Comment

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here