Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All wood brisket cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All wood brisket cook

I've been wanting to do an all wood brisket cook on my smoker so I picked up a small, prime brisket from Costco. I studied up and took some tips from a few Aaron Franklin videos, Husky, Jerod, Henrik, and others on the forum. Hopefully there is some useful information here for other practicing brisket burners.
    10# brisket, trimmed to about 7#
    Dry brined with Mortons kosher sea salt overnight, didn't measure it. I would say it was about double the amount you would put on steak, due to the thickness. It just "looked" about right.
    Fired up the smoker using dry oak.
    Rubbed up the brisket using olive oil and BBBR.
    Put the brisket on about 7:00AM.
    It took me a while to figure out how to control the all wood fire. Temps throughout the cook ran from between 200 and 260. I got better at keeping it around 225 as the cook progressed.
    At 3 hours I was at about 150.
    At 4 1/2 hours I hit 165 and pulled it off to wrap. I used tin foil and about 1/4 cup of beer.
    At 7 hours it hit 200 and was probe tender.
    3 hours in the cooler. (10 hours total from start to slicing.)
    I have a done a few briskets but this was by far my favorite. Plenty juicy, tender, just the right amount of tug, and great flavor.
    I added a small amount of wood about every 45 minutes. For my smoker this seemed to be the best for consistent temps. I added raw wood as I went along. I was worried about over-smoking and bitter taste using the raw wood, but it was no problem and came out really good. The learning continues.....
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0872.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	215221 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0874.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	215222 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0875.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	215217 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0876.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	215218 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0887 (002).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	215219 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0891.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	215220
    Attached Files

Great looking brisket Bob's BBQ nothing like cooking with all wood

Comment

Nice!!

Comment

I'll see Jon's "Nice!!" and raise it one exclamation point: Nice!!!

Comment

Very well done. I'd eat that.

Comment

Beautiful cook!

Comment

• Bob's BBQ
              Bob's BBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks fuzzydaddy, I think all wood is going to be my standard for brisket.

The only time I use something different is when I start the fire. Then I use lump charcoal just to get my water trough up to temp then I use all wood. I get one great smoke ring and it hasn't let me down yet.

Comment

Looks good! What kind of smoker are you using?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here