Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse sear

Reverse Seared Ribeye topped with paprika coated Blue Cheese, creamy mushroom pan reduction, browned Brussel Sprouts, and sous vide Garlic Mashed potatoes. Reverse sear method learned here at amazing ribs.com Sous vide mash or pomme purée learned over at chefsteps.com

That is sweet.

Comment

Nice cook QQ! I'm going to move this to the recipes section. Can you tell us a bit more about the techniques you used for the cook so we can replicate the meal?

Comment

• Quintin "Q"
        Quintin "Q" commented
        Editing a comment
        The steak I salted 45 min before cooking. Placed it in the oven at my lowest temp which was 240 degrees for 25 minutes. Flipping after 12 minutes. Heated a pan put peanut oil in then seared the steak till a nice crust formed. Flipped and repeated. Put some paprika coated blue cheese on top then into the broiler to melt.
        Last edited by Quintin "Q"; September 28, 2014, 07:53 PM.

Q, if you need help setting up your signature, check out Pit Boss' Welcome & Announcements channel, tip #1. If you want one of us to do it for you just PM either Pit Boss of me your equipment you use, your thermometers, and such and we'd be glad to help out. Also, big pics next time, that food looks great, and we want to see ALL that glorious detail! Check this post out about pic posting. Hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

Comment

• Quintin "Q"
        Quintin "Q" commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I need to check that out.

• Quintin "Q"
        Quintin "Q" commented
        Editing a comment
        The pan sauce. After I remove the steak I placed in Thinly sliced onions mushrooms chicken broth heavy cream and butter to finish

(Better than) restaurant quality!

Comment

Sous vide garlic mash. I put four russet potatoes three roasted garlic cloves one stick of butter and some cream into a Ziploc bag. Submerged the bag under water to remove the air and sealed it. Then placed it on the stove in a pot of water with a thermometer. Cooked at 180 for about two hours because I mistakenly cut the potatoes too thick into quarters when I should have sliced them into discs as the website suggested. They should have cooked faster.

Comment

Brussel sprouts. Tossed with onions salt pepper and olive oil. Roasted in the oven at 400 until browned and tender. Not quite sure how long probably 25 min

Comment

Thank you guys no way I could have cooked these without amazingribs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Quintin "Q" View Post
              Thank you guys no way I could have cooked these without amazingribs.com
              We've got a lot of great members here that have learned from AR and love to share their experiences. Thanks for being one of them.

Comment

Q, I noticed that you used the reverse sear method to cook what look like fabulous ribeyes. Can you tell why you reverse seared them? I'm trying to learn what makes the best cooking techniques. Thanks,

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                  Q, I noticed that you used the reverse sear method to cook what look like fabulous ribeyes. Can you tell why you reverse seared them? I'm trying to learn what makes the best cooking techniques. Thanks,

Ray
                  Ray I cannot speak for Q, but reverse searing allows a thick steak to be cooked to a less-than-well-done level (rare to medium, pink in other words) without overcooking the outer edges of it. You're essentially baking the steak at a low temp until it slowly comes up to within a few degrees of your final goal, then blasting the outside over high direct heat, turning often, to get that even brown sear. Done quickly, this method prevents that strip of grey/brown meat you see on the edges when slicing into a traditionally grilled steak. If a person were to prefer their steaks well done, this method wouldn't be of much benefit.

Comment

• Quintin "Q"
                    Quintin "Q" commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Better than I could of said it. Reverse searing left an amazing crust and a beautifully pink inner. I have only RS'd hamburgers in the past, with amazing results, which inspired me to try the method with a ribeye, from Walmart. This method I will be using again and again I loved the results.

Now that right there has to be one of the best if not thee best home chef prepared food I have ever seen, well done. I am trying your sous vide this weekend with the pan sauce

Comment

• Quintin "Q"
                    Quintin "Q" commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you very much!

Thanks for the explanation of RS, Huskee and Q. I love beef medium rare so that's a technique I'll have to perfect! I've also recently ordered a ThermoPop thermometer to get accurate temps. I've been frustrated with erroneous readings causing me to either over cook or undercook food.

Ray

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here