Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange brisket prices at Costco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange brisket prices at Costco

Just returned from a trip to our local Costco. Today, as usual, they had prime full packer brisket for $2.99/lb. For the first time they also had choice flats. The flats were $4.99/lb. I understand there is additional cost for separating the flats and points and wrapping separately but $2/lb more...for lower grade meat?

If people prefer just the flat enough to warrant the price, roll with it. Heck, I'd sell the flat for $10/lb as long as they sold.

Comment

@JerrodBroussard, I get meeting market demands. Was just surprised because of the difference in grade. They had some great prices on prime steaks, prime whole boneless ribeye, and prime filets. Unfortunately, it is going to rain here most of the weekend and we don't currently have empty freezer space. Those prime packers were huge--didn't see one smaller than 16 lbs.

Comment

I am also guessing they trimmed more fat from the flat. Which begs the question, what do they do with the points?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Ground product.

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          I looked up the answer for this one a couple years ago. Pretty sure it becomes not just ground beef but also stuff like fajita meat etc.

Consider yourself lucky that your Costco sells packer briskets. Mine never does - just flats.

Comment

mgaretz, the choice flats were well-trimmed. I wondered about the points, too. Would guess they are ground and used in something else.

Comment

Local store/meat market where I get my butts had a fully trimmed brisket (obviously Select) for $5.99/lb. It had point and flat.

Comment

Regardless of grade, a flat will almost always cost more per pound than a whole packers cut. I have no experience with the price of points, but in theory they should cost less per pound than a whole packers cut. I suspect that is not the case in the real world. I have noticed the cost of a prime whole packers cut has gone down in price 30¢ per lb. at my local Costco (which is 50 miles from where I live).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here