Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flat Iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat Iron

I've never cooked a Flat Iron before but grabbed one bc I heard they are tasty. This is 3.5lbs. Should I cook it like a Tri-tip with pepper and garlic rub and reverse sear it? Or should I cut this into 4 chunks and tie them like filet mignon and reverse sear it that way? Or maybe another way? Click image for larger version

Name:	3.5lb Flat Iron.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	213745

I would go hot and fast. If you have griddle or a cast iron pan I'd put that on the grill and let it rip. You could reverse sear it but I would just go hot and fast.

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, hot and fast. About4 minutes per side.

I see you've got a PBC. Noah says to hang 'em. http://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/videos/flank-steak

Comment

I like to use those for pulled beef, as you would a chuck. Best pulled beef ever. But really you can't go wrong with any of those options, that's a very versatile hunk of meat.

Comment

Is that the steak or the roast. If roast, I'd remove the center line of connective tissue and reduce to 4 steaks. Then got hot and fast, turning often.

Comment

Haha, yes I finally figured out what I bought! I kept wondering why you guys were saying hot and fast with this thick cut...and then I realized after looking at some youtube videos that I had a whole flat iron that has two small steaks that you need to remove the line of gristle in between. Penny drop. Makes total sense now. Thanks guys!

Comment

How is that different from a top blade? Are they the same? I am not good with the names of beef cuts.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Basically the same. Marketing and likely cost.

• richinlbrg
              richinlbrg commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you, Potkettleblack !!

VERY helpful to me!

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              The more you understand about the labeling conventions of butchers, the better armed you are to find the deals... if you want flat iron, I believe top blade to be the thing to buy... breaking it down is very simply a matter of taking the gristle out, and portioning. One filet/boning knife, easy.

Though I liked this cut, I don't think it holds a candle to skirt steak.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Outside skirt, if you can get a hold of it. Inside skirt is pretty good, too, but not as amazing as outside.

Potkettleblack , I didn't realize there were different kinds. I'll check for it, thanks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here