Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Critique my brisket cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critique my brisket cook

I neglected to take pictures, unfortunately, so this will be more difficult but I'd like some feedback. I am very happy where I am with chicken, ribs, and pulled pork but I continue to struggle a bit with brisket. A neighbour asked if I'd cook their brisket for them, which I happily agreed. It tasted quite good but I was disappointed with the texture/tenderness. I'll outline things a bit below but I am particularly interested in feedback on my wrapping process.

My setup:
    18.5 Weber Smokey mountain.
    Temp stayed pretty consistently around the 260 mark
    Meat was a flat-only brisket. it was on the smaller but came trimmed up pretty well.

Process:
    Friday early evening. Salted meat at 1/2 teaspoon per lbs and put back in fridge until Saturday am
    Early Saturday am - took meat out and rubbed it and back in the fridge for a bit
    Started the cook around 9:30am (much later than I wanted unfortunately).
    The plan was to follow an idea I found in a recipe to wrap brisket through the stall, take out just before the finish temperature, and glaze and return to the smoker to finish.
    This is how things went. The temp started to level off around 155 or 160 so I wrapped it in two layers of foil and back on the smoker.
    Around 188 (I believe), I took it off, unwrapped in a pan to save all the juices, glazed, and returned to the smoker. I did notice that some of the bark seemed to have washed off a bit (maybe the wrong description) which I thought was a bit odd.

Anyway, back it went on the smoker but now the temp had dipped way down back into the 160's. And it stayed there quite a while. I tried increasing the temperature a bit, but it hadn't moved a whole lot and it was getting close to 4pm, I wanted to take it off, wrap it, and let it rest for a few hours before dinner time.
    I did do a probe test (previously, I had gone strictly on temperature) and it was decent on the narrower parts of the flat, but still a bit stiff on the thicker part.

As a backup, I took that au jus from earlier, mixed it with some leftover rub, a bit of butter, and a little bit of bbq sauce to thicken it and heated that up right before serving things. I think that helped and, as I said, people were complimentary but I was pretty disappointed with it (other than the sauce). I had also threw on a bunch of chicken thighs while the brisket was resting so at least the brisket didnt need to be the carry the meal.

I'm interested in others opinions but my self-analysis led me to 2 main problems:
    1 - worrying about dinner time instead of just letting it cook until it is ready but the temperature drop really threw me off. (Starting late didnt help either, obviously)
    2 - I may have wrapped it too early (and not let the bark from well enough) which was likely me adhering to a temperature read out instead of my own eyeballs.

Anyway, input appreciated.

You're self analysis seems pretty much accurate to me. Give yourself LOTS of time to achieve proper doneness. Verify "done" with probe tender, temp and "feel". Not sure you were quite there when you went for the "rest". Suspect that while wrapped your meat had a chance to work moisture to the surface which put you into a second stall when you unwrapped it. Throw that recipe away and plan on wrapping after great bark formation (usually after the stall) and leave it wrapped until it's really "done"! If your bark washed off, it wasn't real well established. If you had good bark, a foil or paper wrap won't undo it. Personally, I would also suggest that if you're just doing part of a brisket, start with the point end and not just the flat. IMO: Point end is fattier and much easier to verify "done" (it "jiggles"). Plus, point tastes better too. Each one will get better. Good luck.

Comment

Yeah, I love the point, just cooked up what they gave me. Thanks Doc!

Comment

What HorseDoctor said! I did a flat yesterday. Had it on the cooker at 275-300 at 7:30 a.m. for 6 pm dinner. It was done and in a slightly warmed oven to hold at 4:00. Always easier to hold a done brisket than to force it!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	215202 Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	215203 Happy to report that my next brisket was MUCH better. I even tried burnt ends and they turned out great. Would still rank brisket at the bottom of my skill set but this was tasty. Plated it turn-in box style for kicks too 😂

Comment

That looks quite good.

Comment

Wow, second time was a charm! I think you've got that brisket thing figured out, jabostick . Congrats! That's a beautiful presentation.

Kathryn

P.S. How did that pork butt turn out?

Comment

fzxdoc Thanks! The pork turned out pretty darn tasty too. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_26574.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	215616

Comment

jabostick Awesome brisket and pulled pork! Great photos as well.

Comment

Wowza! Beautiful piggy photo! Now I'm really hungry! You knocked it out of the park on this cook, jabostick .

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here