Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would YOU do with this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had great success with a good trim, long dry brine, and a slooooow reverse sear up to 130-135 max. Board sauce. Yum. A long as you go into it knowing it's not a prime rib, it's obviously a bit tougher. But that doesn't mean it's too tough and can't be delicious.

Comment

Sounds like you have a good plan.

Probably "off AR message" here but could always get it, slightly freeze it to firm it, cut it thin, pound it thinner and make braciole for 25-30.

Never smoked/bbq/grilled braciole but I bet you could if you boat it with a little liquid and covered to finish.

Click image for larger version

Name:	braciole_4.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	211157
      Last edited by l'inferno; August 20, 2016, 07:07 AM.

Comment

That's the only cut I use for jerky.

Comment

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          Me too.

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          What started out as a bit of a facetious comment on my part has now got me fired up for more jerky! Just did 5# of venison roasts I found hiding in the freezer but may need to run to the store & get some eye of round for $2.99 and make some more!

Above all, handle it safely, because it says so. And, you saved $7.08, that makes it worth handling safely.

Comment

I'd say trim it, cut it up in 1 - 2 pound portions, dry-brine for a long time then throw it in the smoke til it hits 120 - 125. Cube it up somewhat on the small side and use for chili or or more bite size for stew. Maybe take one section more towards medium rare and then slice it very thin (across the grain, of course) for Philly cheesesteak sammies or fajitas or even stir fry.

Comment

Update 1:
            Sorry the pics are dark, the main lights in the kitchen tapped out on me this morning.

mis en place

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	211346
            I trimmed much deeper than I normally would. I was inspired by an episode of chopped this week when they used 'wate' baskets for ingredients. I will put the trimmings on the grill and offer a couple as burnt offerings and cook the rest for the dogs. They will appreciate it.
            this second pic is after injecting a cup of beef broth and applying kosher salt for dry brining.

Views:	120
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	211347

Comment

Looks marvelous, can't wait to see finished product& a full report in detail on the taste.

Comment

Rubbed while the KBB was firing up then back in the fridge

Views:	127
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	211665

on on the grill with treats for the hunden and burnt offerings

Views:	126
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	211666

Comment

Beef has been on for about 90 minutes and is already up to 102 IT grate temp has been a steady 218. Gonna drop the temp to 180ish and see if I can squeeze out another hour+

Comment

Views:	147
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	211753 Click image for larger version

Views:	135
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	211752 Click image for larger version

Views:	132
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	211754 Click image for larger version

Views:	128
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	211751 Click image for larger version

Views:	131
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	211747 Click image for larger version

Views:	125
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	211748 Click image for larger version

Views:	121
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	211749 Who choice but to start searing Thermopen has it at 125 in spots

Views:	120
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	211750
                    ​​​​​​​

Comment

Details later Olympic gold medal wrestling match coming up

Comment

Good eats!

Comment

Cook it

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here