Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Karyn Cooks a Tri-Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karyn Cooks a Tri-Tip

Here you go fuzzydaddy .... With pictures. Karyn is the best BBQ helper a dad could ask for. But this week she came and asked me if she could cook something herself, with me just supervising and advising her. Who was I to say no. Karyn decided on a Tri-Tip. She read up on Meathead's technique, spent a bunch of time asking me questions, and basically worrying herself sick about having to dump the coals from the chimney into the Hasty-Bake firebox.

Here's what she did.

1. Dry brined a Tri-Tip for 20 hours
    2. Seasoned it with equal parts fresh ground black pepper and garlic powder
    3. Made a chimichurri
    4. Got the Hasty-Bake fired up and the indirect side running at 275
    5. Cooked the Tri-Tip indirect to an internal temp of 140 (my wife doesn't like med rare or medium beef :-/)
    6. Seared over direct heat for about 2 minutes on each side
    7. Told her sous-chef (that's me) to cook baked potatoes and Brussels sprouts for sides
    8. Told her sous-chef to carve the Tri-Tip so that she could serve it

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	208305 Click image for larger version

Views:	148
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	208302 Click image for larger version

Views:	146
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	208306 Click image for larger version

Views:	148
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	208303 Click image for larger version

Views:	152
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	208304 Click image for larger version

Views:	146
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	208301
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; August 13, 2016, 11:44 AM.

Looks Great! Nice job Karyn!

Comment

You are a good sous chef ecowper ... You're training your daughter right. She won't need a man to grill & BBQ for her when she gets older.πŸ‘ Take good care of that Hasty-Bake so she can take it with her when she moves out of your nest. It looks like she did fine work, even though she was forced to over cook that Tri-Tip.πŸ‘Œ

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        A lot of times I cook two smaller Tri-Tips, one to MR and one to MW. There's 5 of us. Three of us want MR, two want MW.

Sweetness, you got an SEC fan way up there in the northwest??

Great going Karyn!!!

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Jerod Broussard, can you fix that title? It should be "Karyn Cooks a Tri-Tip" .... Not sure how I got the 's in there
        Last edited by ecowper; August 13, 2016, 11:26 AM.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Guest Funny, I almost corrected without asking. I figured "Karyn's Tri-tip Cook" was on the mind but not in the phalanges.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Jerod Broussard I totally fat fingered it ... Couldn't decide which was on my mind, clearly. Thanks for the fix

Breadhead I told her that knowing how to run a grill would make sure there were tons of boys interested in being around her .... I got the eye roll and "Daaaaaaad" reaction! :-)

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        All of us Dads know the eye roll move...πŸ‘ Especially when you tell them what young guys their age are really like.😎

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Truer words...truer words....

Awesome job, Karyn!!

Comment

Wow that's awesome that your daughter wanted to grill for all of you. Looks great. Good job Karyn

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          She really has been enjoying the grill the last few months. Not just eating it, but she wants to make it happen. It's pretty cool. I was kinda worried that none of my kids would have my love of cooking and the grill and the smoker. But one appears to. YAY!

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Awesome job on that tri-tip! (don't tell her that her eyes won't actually freeze like that )

Comment

A great cook Karyn.

Comment

Originally posted by ecowper View Post
              ....Karyn is the best BBQ helper a dad could ask for. But this week she came and asked me if she could cook something herself, with me just supervising and advising her. Who was I to say no. Karyn decided on a Tri-Tip. She read up on Meathead's technique, spent a bunch of time asking me questions, and basically worrying herself sick about having to dump the coals from the chimney into the Hasty-Bake firebox.
              Karyn : Your Tri-Tip looks awesome! Gratulations on asking questions, researching, and letting Dad help you prepare and cook a great meal for your family. Also, congrats on having the courage to dump the coals. Well done!

ecowper : Sounds like you're the best Dad a Daughter could ask for. I think this could be one of those experiences that Karyn will carry with her for many years. I say that because occasionally my 34 year old Son mentions experiences we had when he was young and I can see that they were special to him and have helped shape him.

Thanks for your post!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here