Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I salt a Ribeye before vacuum packing and freezing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I salt a Ribeye before vacuum packing and freezing?

So I bought one of those whole ribeyes at my local meet market, and now I have a ton of ribeye. A good problem to have. But I also bought a Food Saver vacuum sealer. My question is should I salt the steaks before I seal them? Any other tips for long term storage of steak?

No need to salt, i just make sure its sealed properly.

Only salt when curing but not freezing, never hear of it before.

Comment

I don't think it would hurt anything, 6 of one, half dozen of the other. If you salt today then seal tomorrow your dry brining is all done!

Comment

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        That is what I do now.

I would salt any meat for dry brining purposes before freezing. As Huskee mentioned, it is already done.

I am curious about the salt's denaturing process of the proteins, and how they (proteins) are affected by those pesky ice crystal formations when you freeze.

Comment

• badf00d
        badf00d commented
        Editing a comment
        If you vacuum seal you don't get ice crystals in the first place, regardless of any salt.

• Rfuilrez
        Rfuilrez commented
        Editing a comment
        badf00d You most certainly do. There is a TON of moisture inside the meat. You may not get "frost" on the outside, but there is plenty of ice throughout a frozen piece of meat.

Well one time, many years ago, I shot a wild hog, (In downtown Dallas, but that's another story) and I packed the rump in rock salt. So much salt that it never actually froze on the outside. I had it in the freezer for 6 months, and when I cooked it, it was the finest pork I have ever had. I wonder if there is something here.... But how to store it in liquid brine, in the freezer...

Comment

mmaceachran Welcome to the Pit, I would at least do a couple as a test and mark the package, then they can go straight to the grill from the freezer without thawing to season. #Timesaver. I did this in the past (freezer to grill)but tried to season after they were froze, before would be better, here is the old post https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...t-do-you-think

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting you mentioned this. I just got an e-mail from Thermoworks today from their blog about how to grill a steak right from the freezer. Check it out. I am retarted an dont know how to attach the link. Sorry

I remember a cooks illustrated were they tested chicken breast pre salted then frozen. They retained more moisture when defrosted. I have wonder how this issue would transfer to other meats and if anyone had seen further tests.

Comment

Very good and interesting question. That's what I like about this site.

Comment

I recently bought 16 pounds of ribeye, cut it into steaks, dry brined and vacuum sealed each steak, let them all sit overnight to let the brining kick in, and then froze them the next night. As I've pulled them out of the freezer I can drop them directly into the sous vide bath and they're already brined. Just cut them open to sear and I have a fantastic steak.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here