Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Timming tri tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timming tri tip

Making tri tip and pork butt for a party today- Does the tri tip look trimmed enough or should I remove more of the fat? Had a lot of fat on it
    Attached Files

I've heard people talk about removing silverskin from tri-tip, but all I've ever done is trim most of the fat and then throw it in the smoker. Take it low and slow to 120F, then sear to 130F.

The images aren't opening up for me, but from what I see, I would trim it down all the way to the meat.

EDIT: Okay, the larger pics are coming up for me now. Yeah, I'd trim that down further. I want to dry brine overnight, then put a mostly pepper rub on it before throwing it in the smoke. That much fat would defeat the purpose for me.
    Last edited by boftx; August 6, 2016, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Magnus ... here's a photo of a properly trimmed tri-tip for reference:

Click image for larger version

Name:	PBC Tri-Tip 1.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	204973

Comment

I trim all the way down to the meat. Problem with leaving fat on some things is you are also leaving a not so nice layer of silver skin; e.g. pork loin.

I'd also watch your BBQ temp on the Maverick, it went down 1 degree b/n pics.

Comment

• mgaretz
          mgaretz commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, do what Jerod says.

Trimmed it along with the silver skin down to the meat. Did a reverse sear and it turned out excellent Tanks for the help and support guys! Love this site

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here