Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First chuck roast cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First chuck roast cook

Hi all

I'm attempting my first chuck roast cooked low and slow. This is also my first low and slow cook of any kind. I have a Holland gas grill so am some what handicapped, but thought I'd give it a try anyway..

The Holland is either on or off, it cooks at about 430- 450 it has a stain less plate between flame and grate. Never ever a flare up. So with a couple of dry runs I discovered a large pan of water placed on the steel plate the lid held open about 3/8 of an inch ( a 1/2 x 9/16 box end wrench, for you gear heads) and it would hold a temp 315-325.

I used the bbbr (( thanks Meathead) and Pit Boss ))
    Here are my cook time and temps.

Ctt = cook time temp.

Hrs. Temps.
    0:00 ctt 46.3
    1:54 ctt 159.4
    1:56 ctt 160.0
    2:15 ctt 165.0
    2:30 ctt 168.2
    3:00 ctt 174.5
    3:30 ctt 180.4
    4:00 ctt 186.5
    4:30 ctt 193.7
    5:00 ctt 200.4
    5:20 ctt 210.0. Done and eaten

I did not try to hold it at 210 like Dave suggested. With this grill I don't think it possible. I also didn't faux cambro. The bark was awesome tasting, but tough as nails, the thickest Center was tough, the fatty outside parts were tender and extra good. We ate this as you would a roasts. So I assume if I'd pulled it and mixed it all together I'd of had a better outcome.

Any suggestion for this grill and my next chucky cook, and there will be another try.

Thanks
    Everyday (Webber SnS wanna be)

Something that took me a little time to learn is to use a probe to check for tenderness. Temperature just get you in the ballpark as many say the probe should feel like you are passing it thru butta... Wrapping and putting in the faux cambro will also help a lot. This requires adding start time to be a little earlier. But on the other side every hunk of meat is different so it could be a tough cow.
    Congratulations on your first slow cook! You learn something every time.

Comment

• Everyday
      Everyday commented
      Editing a comment
      The smaller fattier portion felt like you described. The thicker middle still had some resistance. Do you think it needed a longer cook or maybe the faux cambro would have done the trick?

The faux cambro really loosens the meat up.
    I don't know many who don't wrap and let it sit for a while

Comment

• Everyday
      Everyday commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok next cook I'll start two hours sooner. Then I can wrap it and let it set for awhile.
      Thanks for your help

You are now officially hooked on bar b q!

Comment

Wrap when you get the bark that you like. Take it til it's probe tender. Definitely cambro at least 90 minutes. Chuckies need that.

Comment

My first chuckie is set to go on at around 0730 tomorrow. This thread has me pumped!

Comment

I would highly recommend holding in a faux cambro as noted and pulling the chuck afterwards. Also consider using the Chuck to make chili
          Last edited by ecowper; August 5, 2016, 10:57 PM.

Comment

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            Second that chili recommendation. Freaking awesomeness!

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            I love me some chili using smoked chuck. I cook the Chuck up to 160, give or take .... Basically to the stall. Then I pull it, cut into chunks and make chili with it. My wife loves my "smokey chili" ... Which is what she calls it.

Yep, I held the brisket for 2+ hours @ 170 in the oven a couple of weeks ago. Planning to wrap after the stall and do the same with the chuckie.

Comment

What if you want to slice it as opposed to pulling it?

Comment

Hey Steve R. How did your chuck roast cook go today

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here