Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Go big or go home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go big or go home

Not a freaking Choice in this town, unless you want $6/lb angus choice.

This dude about 2ft long, trying to max out the 26" kettle.
    Attached Files

I went to Costco today the Prime Brisket had come down from 499 a pound to 2.99 so not so bad. I actually got a Butchers attention and was able to ask if they were gonna carry choice brisket anymore. He looked sheepishly at me and said " no I'm sorry" He said they get asked that everyday. But Costco has decided the get a better margin by only selling Prime sigh... Went to Sams they do have choice actually two types? Angus choice and Regular choice?? I had heard that most (if not all) choice beef was Angus? so whats the difference?? other than the 5.99 price for Angus and 3.99 for regular choice? So I guess its 2.99 Prime brisket for me?? So now have to try one with out injecting or doing much. Just the Texas way of Black Pepper, Salt and maybe some granulated onion. (where's the fun in that??)

Comment

GadjetGriller

All certified Angus beef has to grade choice in order to be certified. But plenty Charolais end up choice too.
      Never saw a Prime packer in this town, only flats, and that is rare too. If I need Choice for some slicing all I they got is Select, if all I need is Select for chopping, they will have LOADS of Choice. Thinking of firing up the little fridge when I do find Choice and just wet-age the crap out of 'em. I'm gonna low and slow this dude to death.
      Last edited by Jerod Broussard; August 1, 2016, 11:12 PM.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        like when you need a flat head screwdriver but all you can find are Phillips head and vice versa when you need the other type!

Jerod Broussard Dang that wont take long or anything 17 pound sill most likely be 14.5 to 15 after trimming. Lets see 75 min per pound (doing math in head...Ok now doing math on Calculator) only 18 to 19 hours!! (if there is no stall) But when it comes out it will be fall apart Tender and my mouth is watering thinking about it Dang it lol

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Definite trifecta- dry flat with fat for chopped, some sliced, some burnt ends.

I would be happy to get ANY brisket for $2.99 per pound! Here around Baltimore, I haven't seen any for less than 5.99 for full packers. Flats are even more expensive. Of course, the flats I have seen packed separately are trimmed pretty well.

Comment

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here. I saw an Angus Brisket flat for $12.99 a pound once in these parts. Crazy!

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        I would pay that for good ribeye, or sockeye salmon, but not brisket.

• LangInGibsonia
        LangInGibsonia commented
        Editing a comment
        I can't even get packers. All we have are trimmed flats for $8.99/lb! That's why I haven't done brisket yet.

I pick up this 16.39 lb Choice brisket for $2.96 per lb.
      Attached Files

Comment

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        I prefer Choice Tons better than Select! never actually done a Prime brisket to cheap to spend the money! but last week did a 10 pound Select and even though I ejected it was still dry and not very good have decided to only do choice or better! (yes a better pitmaster doesnt have a problem with select but Im not that good yet)
        Last edited by GadjetGriller; August 2, 2016, 10:01 PM.

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        GadjetGriller Next time on a Select check for all the fat striations in the flat you can get. Dry brine a full three days. Then cook for bark all the way. Only wrap when the top of the flat along with every other inch is fully barked. Then slice and chop both muscles, and combine and chop some more.

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Jerod Broussard copied and Printed out!! I will try that this weekend!!

Originally posted by GadjetGriller View Post
      I went to Costco today the Prime Brisket had come down from 499 a pound to 2.99 so not so bad. I actually got a Butchers attention and was able to ask if they were gonna carry choice brisket anymore. He looked sheepishly at me and said " no I'm sorry" He said they get asked that everyday. But Costco has decided the get a better margin by only selling Prime sigh... Went to Sams they do have choice actually two types? Angus choice and Regular choice?? I had heard that most (if not all) choice beef was Angus? so whats the difference?? other than the 5.99 price for Angus and 3.99 for regular choice? So I guess its 2.99 Prime brisket for me?? So now have to try one with out injecting or doing much. Just the Texas way of Black Pepper, Salt and maybe some granulated onion. (where's the fun in that??)
      They sell choice flats. But they are always like 7.99 a pound. Doesn't make sense to me. Because you can buy a Prime packer and separate the flat from the point and you have a prime flat for cheap. I have only seen our Prime briskets go over $4 once. They usually hover between $2.89/lb and $3.15/lb

Comment

Yielded almost 14 pounds after trimming. Not a very thick brisket at all, just really long.
        Attached Files

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you wrap when dry brining Jerod Broussard

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          I did this one due to refrigerator constraints. I seem to wrap all my butts, but that involves a salty rub. I prefer to just pile all my briskets in a plastic tub. No room for that with a 5 pound pork loin curing and a Pike's Peak defrosting.

When's this gettin cooked?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          Saturday night. Thinking of trying out my 6.5 cfm fan on the 26er. The Auber folks weren't sure if that or a 10 cfm would better. Going low and slow they felt the 6.5 might suffice.

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          26er even though it's a lot bigger than the 22 still runs pretty efficiently. I bet you'll be more than fine with the 6.5.

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I noticed that when doing adjustments, larger air mass = more stability. From what I have heard and read, similar to the difference b/n a 20" and 24" diameter offset.

Question for you Jerod Broussard I'm just going to do the S&P on this brisket. Do I put the S&P on 2-3 days before the cook or just salt and add the pepper right before it goes in the smoker?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          I put both right before the cook, and compared to a Big Bad Beef Rubbed brisket the final product flavor seemed like a 4 with a BBBR brisket getting a 10. Think the BBBR spoiled me.

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Personally, I like the salt & pepper approach. Can apply it a couple days early to get the "dry brine" effect from the salt or as it goes on the smoker. It's all good! Good luck & enjoy!

You need to drive to Bossier City Jerod, our Walmart almost always has Excel choice for 1.97 pr pound. If you want I would buy a couple and freeze them then meat you half way. Just let me know.

Comment

• jharner
          jharner commented
          Editing a comment
          2536 Airline Dr Bossier City La 71111 Ph 318-747-0173

• jharner
          jharner commented
          Editing a comment
          There is a Walmart off Pines rd in west Shreveport but I never shop there. There # is 318-688-7700. If they keep them that would be about 20 minutes closer to you.

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          Thanks a million.... Pesos.

This dude cooked up awesome. 17 hours uncovered average pit temp maybe 230-240. Point is super tender and the flat is a pretty good probe tender at 187 internal. Got the oven on 250 to try and bring it up a little more and then rest it for a good hour and a half.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160807_163658.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	205614

Comment

That's a monster, the biggest I've seen in my area is 12lb range.

We don't get prime briskets either. Frankly finding brisket is rare period. There's a single walmart and GFS store that has choice packers for $2.99/lb. Flats at the grocery store are approaching $8/lb. Even the oldest meat market in town only has full packers if you special order.

Comment

It produced a two stage pellet smoker like smoke ring.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160807_185752.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	205750

Comment

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              Jerod Broussard , how do you serve that chopped brisket?

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              On a bun. Optional BBQ sauce. The burnt ends and slices (pictured) were for the adults, but we had enough chopped for them to have both.

Oh my! Ain't that pretty!!!!! Good job!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here