Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dino Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent!!! Congrats!

Comment

Very very nice ecowper

Comment

Looks like it was a great time. I wish I had some helpers. I cant wait until my nieces and nephews are old enough to help out. Then there is always with question of whether or not they will want to help. Looks like you got lucky.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Well at this point at least four of them like to eat it. Thats a good start the other one is still too young. (say his mom) I think he be just fine. You can get a rib in a bottle, Right? @ecopower

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Just give him a rib bone and let him gnaw at it Spinaker

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          All 3 kids enjoy eating BBQ .... which is a good thing .... but only one is at all interested in how to cook it.

Great story! Ribs look fantastic, the whole meal does - going to try those tomorrow (short plate). Have one question ... Is it better to keep the full plate whole, or cut in half? Thanks 😀

Comment

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Some cut them into individual ribs to get more bark. I think I get plenty of bark by keeping the whole slab intact. Suit yourself. Enjoy!

Thanks! Does cutting them smaller make for shorter cooking time?

Comment

I don't think you would change the cook time much butting them up. Cook time depends on meat thickness. Personally I like how the plates look when they come off the grill.

Comment

• PSULion
            PSULion commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!

Looks like a great cook made even better by your helper ecowper .

Comment

Hi again - here is what I have in store for tomorrow - a nice plate of short ribs. Before and after trimming - I got quite a bit of fat off the R side (about 1 1/2 cups of chunks) - wondering a few things : should I cut the rack in half into a thick side and thin side? Should I have trimmed off so much fat? And can I use that fat for anything? Thanks! Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	205118 Click image for larger version

Views:	91
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	205119 Click image for larger version

Views:	79
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	205120
            BTW - the shop in Toms River was great for anyone out there in NJ! Got some nice Italian sausage and Berkshire pork chops that are going on the grill tonight 😀

Comment

I had thin and thick sides of the plates and left them as whole plates. Cam out great. Your trim job looks great. You can cook that fat and render it to make beef love. Then you can paint your steaks with it!

Comment

• PSULion
                PSULion commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks!! I knew there was something to use it for - steak painting sounds awesome! Should I leave it solid like this til ready to use, or render it down and save ?

I render it right away and keep it in the freezer. I pull it out when I need it and warm it up. I paint my steaks with the beef love right before searing the steaks. I use pretty much all beef trimmings to make beef love.

Comment

http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2...ef-tallow.html

a good article on rendering beef fat

Comment

• PSULion
                  PSULion commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you - that was helpful 😀

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's the one I used to learn how :-)

I think someone here said they poured the rendered fat into ice cub trays to portion it. Freeze it and put in zip loc bags.

Comment

RonB I do something similar with olive oil. Take the fresh herbs from our garden - basil, thyme, cilantro, oregano - plus some crushed garlic. Add that to ice cube trays and then cover in olive oil. Freeze it. Then put it in a zip lock bag. Pull out a cube and throw it in pan when I am going to cook on the stovetop and I have my olive oil and nearly garden fresh herbs.

I think I'll do that with rendered fat, as well. Just need to make sure and mark the bags clearly :-D

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here