Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket in progress

Yesterday I went with my parents and my son to Louis Mueller BBQ in Taylor, TX. It was fantastic and inspired me to pick up a brisket OTW home to complete the initiation of my new Pitt's and Spitt's Pellet Smoker.

By the way, first time to Louis Mueller, it was fantastic. Point sliced brisket was top tier, flat sliced brisket was good, but nothing to write home about. The beef rib on the other hand, 1.5 lbs of heaven. Best beef rib I have ever consumed.

I bought a 9.5 lbs brisket from the store, trimmed a little fat off, put some olive oil on it and coated it in Louis Mueller's rub they sell at the cashier. It has an amazing smell and great looking colors and texture. My dog destroyed one of my maverick thermometers, so I'm running this only on the meat probe that comes with the PID controller.

I turned the grill on high to get the smoke going, then set it to 190 and put the brisket on at 10:30pm last night. I then binge watched a couple episodes of "Stranger Things" on netflix, and before going to bed at 1am, I cranked the temperature to 230.

At 6 am, the dog was scratching at our door and my son was ready to get up so we all went outside and checked on the beef I am getting used to not having to wake up multiple times to check on my Hasty Bake during the night, it's nice!

At 6.5-7hrs it's sitting pretty at 150 internal temperature. Since this is my first brisket on the P&S, I'm going to make it do all the work for me, no wrap, just a spray bottle with beef stock, since I have all day, no need to rush.

I'll update in a couple hours!

That is looking really gooood.

Comment

Sweet. I'd like to see if there is a difference b/n the top and bottom racks with respect to flavor. Next time buy two briskets.

Comment

• RanchoStarvo
        RanchoStarvo commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I should, next time HEB has a sale I might. After having the big beef rib from Louis Mueller's yesterday, I think that and pork ribs are my next smoke

Things are looking really good.

Comment

Thats one very fine looking brisket. Kudos! Can't wait for the money shot.

Comment

And here she is! Took it off when the probe said 190 and the thermapen was sliding in like hot knife though butter.

The end of the flat, while not dry by most peoples' standards, was a little too dry for me. My wife thought it tasted great. As I kept slicing, it became more moist and the sliced point was very tasty.

Going forward, I might put another probe in closer to the thinner part of flat, or I might add a water pan to help out

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            I've noticed on an Aaron Franklin video that he had little pieces of foil wrapped around the end of the flat so that it didn't dry out too much once it got barkedd up enough.

That is a fine looking brisket! Ya' did good, real good.

Comment

I did the bare minimum because I wanted to see what the cooker could do. Maybe I'll wrap it up the last couple hours or put in a small water pan, that should cure the dryness especially since I took it off at 190.

Comment

Very good lucking brisket!

Comment

Looks Great! RanchoStarvo

Comment

Damn fine job man. Great color.

Comment

I'd say that's somewhere between great and awesome ... not sure which is better.

Comment

Looks awfully good.... love the look of that smoke ring.

Comment

Very nicely done! Kudos.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here