Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In search of the "perfect" brisket(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In search of the "perfect" brisket(s)

Good day -- We are hosting a "fesitivus" occasion at our house this Friday with about 50ish folks expected. These will be good decent people we like and that deserve good barbeque. I am planning on serving brisket (have 3 whole briskets on hand for smoking) and maybe chicken for those who for whatever reason don't eat red meat (once we sort those folks out, they will likely not get a subsequent invitation).
    Anyway, I need some help from folks far smarter than me to help plan this out. So I am turning to y'all for advice.
    --
    The plan is to cook two (2) briskets on a Weber Smoky Mountain and one (1) brisket on a Big Green Egg. The briskets are are all three within the 12-14 lb. range and are supposed to be of good quality. Also, I plan to cook them at about 250 degrees or so.
    Due to the event schedule, we have to be ready to eat at 6:00 p.m. - I hope to have the briskets off by no later than 2:00ish so we can then throw the chickens on the smokers. (we have coolers and blankets for the brisket to rest in)
    My first question deals with scheduling -
    Any advice on when we should put the briskets on the smokers ?
    (my thought is to start about 8:00ish p.m. Thursday night so we can rest them and I can be sure to have enough time to deal with the chickens Friday)
    -----
    My main questions deal with "crutching" the briskets. - I have in my possession two wonderful books written by barbeque immortals (Meathead and Aaron Franklin). In reviewing these, I see conflicting ideas. In particular, I have concerns about wrapping the briskets during the cook.
    1) -- when should you wrap (crutch) the briskets ??
    ------ Specifically, should they be wrapped before or after the stall ?
    ;
    2) -- should the briskets be wrapped (crutched) in foil or butcher paper ?
    --
    Your time, patience and any suggestions are much appreciated. And I apologize for the long winded email.
    Thanks

I am by no means on Aaron or Meathead's level as a smoker. Just as they differ in their books, member opinions will differ. I will share what works for me. I usually trim a little more than most, mainly between the point and flat. I like getting most of that fat out so I can treat in with salt and the rub. At a cooking temp around 225 it takes 9 to 10 hours on my pellet grill to reach 203 to 205 and PROBE TENDERNES. I wrap in foil at around 180, that is usually past stalls. I wrap then so I can get a good bark before wrapping. I wrap in foil because a want to catch and use the juices that are released in the last hours of cooking. I put it a fat separator and pour it back over the meat after cutting. Good luck on your great gathering.

Comment

Good day
      Appreciate the input -- I am likely going to adjust my timing a bit and put the brisket on later than I had planned and will wait until after the stall to wrap them -- since I am cooking more than one, I am thinking about wrapping in both foil and butcher paper for a comparison.
      Thanks

Comment

8pm sounds good. Best to finish early and hold than go over dinner time. As for the crutch, it will help speed up the cook for sure.

Comment

Personally since you are doing theses in an environment that that will have humidity I would not crutch if you are going for the wow factor. I just did two 14lb prime for a party and was complimented on the crunchy bark which you will not have if you crutch in foil. As for start time 8 pm seems way early, although I run mine a little hotter 250-275 I started at 4:30 am and pulled one at 12:30 and the other at 2:00 when probe tender. Seems like starting closer to midnight would allow you time for your chicken, just my 2¢, good luck and report back the details of your success.

Comment

The reason for wrapping in tinfoil AKA Texas crutch is to bring the meat through the stall faster thereby shortening the cook rime by up to 4 hours. With wrapping in butcher paper it does the same thing but not as effective and the bark is still nice and crunchy. Just my 2

Comment

Once I obtain a nice crunchy bark I wrap. I go as long as I can without wrapping. Some make it all the way, good for them.

Comment

A full packer on the WSM at 225'ish should take 14-18 hours without the crutch. The big variance is due to the meat itself. If you use the crutch, it's probably more like 12-14 hours. If you cook at 250-275, then it's probably going to cut 2-3 hours off the cook. If you put 2 packers on the WSM at 8 PM with a temp of 225, they should be coming off and going into the cambro at around 2 PM. If you crutch, they will come off somewhere around 10 AM, give or take. If you are going to crutch, I would say that you want to start the cook around midnight. If you are not going to crutch, around 9 PM.

I don't cook on a BGE, but I think it would probably cook a bit faster from what I know.

That's what I would do, anyhow. :-)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here