Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elusive beef ribs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elusive beef ribs!

Yes! I suppose I should post pics of my elusive beef ribs, but I don't have pics! I don't even have any beef ribs! Went to Sam's tonight. Quite a drive for me. I haven't been a member of Sam's for a very long time. I thought I had finally found some good looking beef ribs, like the kind you would get at Franklins or Pappa's here local... At least that is what they have on their website available for pickup at my local Sam's. Welp, got there and showed the butcher my pic on his website and he told me, Sir, we haven't sold beef ribs in eight years. I had remembered their meat counter being massive compared to most places, but it is much smaller now. Hardly anything. It was very odd.

I left with some great looking country ribs though. So I got something to look forward to tomorrow.

Honestly, down in these parts, beef ribs are seemingly very very hard to get. I don't know how many places I called. It's just not a money maker for our local butchers. I understand it is not a popular cut for many reasons but dang, I need some! Funny, it's a "thang" in the Austin area. So close but so far.

So country-butt ribs for me!

I got these country style ribs at Sam's
    Attached Files

Comment

Nothing wrong with country-butt ribs. Dem are my go to when brisket prices are too high.

We get some Select short ribs here which might as well be made of tire rubber and sinew.

One day I will break down and order a nice slab of short ribs online.

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
        I got these country style ribs at Sam's
        Yep! Got them too DW. 8 pounds of em. And I agree, there is nothing wrong with them at all. Actually, I probably cook more country butt ribs more than anything for sure. If you haven't cooked them BBQ Pit Boys style yet, man, it is a must and my go-to for many years. But sure would like some beef ribs. I had two butcher shops just today tell me that "nope". We don't sell them, and won't cut them.

Comment

Yes sir, I have done them BBQPitBoys style many times

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
            Nothing wrong with country-butt ribs. Dem are my go to when brisket prices are too high.

We get some Select short ribs here which might as well be made of tire rubber and sinew.

One day I will break down and order a nice slab of short ribs online.

Yep! This is possibly what I will have to do. I am afraid if I "order" it from Sam's, that when I pick them up, they will have cut the bones off. LOL. I have checked a few places to order them from. Probably the route I will have to take.

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
              Yes sir, I have done them BBQPitBoys style many times
              My wife thinks I am a genius doing them BBQPitBoys style! I never told her.

That dang dang sauce is amazing to me. I'll be doing that tomorrow.

Comment

I'm planning on doing their beer can bacon burger soon.

Comment

My local Sam's Club only sells "trayed" beef short ribs which are an awfully thin cut that I find unsatisfying. A few weeks ago I found some beef short ribs at Costco that worked out great. I've found that my local Costco has a larger variety of meat cuts than Sam's.

Here are the before & after photos of my Costco short ribs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0395.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	529.9 KB
ID:	198967 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0405.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	558.8 KB
ID:	198968

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                    fuzzydaddy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I just developed a serious craving for some of those!

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Our Costco only had pre seasoned shorties. Didn't want to rick getting a mouth full of salt.

You might check Walmart. They carry beef ribs where we are from. About the only place in town that does. Or you could order a bone on prime rib from your butcher and separate the ribs from the roast. That way you get prime rib and ribs.

Comment

• Skinsfan1311
                    Skinsfan1311 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Gotta be careful at Walmart. I was checking out the beef ribs, at the local Walmart, in Glen Burnie, MD. They were pretty skimpy, and all they had were "standard" and "select". Check the labeling very carefully.

I did some beef ribs along with some pork ribs a few weeks ago and I have to tell you I preferred the pork to the beef and that's damned near a crime here in Texas.

Comment

• Darchie03
                    Darchie03 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I cooked 4 full slabs of pork ribs & 4large slabs of beef short ribs for the 4th of July there was 1 beef rib left & no pork ribs, just one of the end pieces that has no bones. 1 family member had relatives in from Germany they over ate & said they had never had anything like them before.

I happened on a managers special choice rack of back ribs. Once in a while whole foods has decent spare ribs. But when I asked for a 3 bone slab they looked at me like I was from Mars.

Comment

• lonnie mac
                    lonnie mac commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Gosh that looks good!!

• Michael Brinton
                    Michael Brinton commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks... She was a little mad we wouldn't let her finish the whole rib.

• GadjetGriller
                    GadjetGriller commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great Picture!! LOL love her expression!

Not trying to write an ad for anybody, but I've lately gotten beef ribs from Publix. Their meat department sometimes has short ribs (cut in singles) and/or back ribs (again frequently cut into singles). If you ask, they will order the short ribs in slabs of up to 4-5 and/or almost full back rib slabs. They are a little pricey compared to some other places, but they're right up the street, I don't have to go chasing all over town hunting for what I want, I get exactly what I want. And typically cooking for two, the price difference is lost in the noise level.

Comment

I go to Kroger's and order beef short ribs

Comment

Generally, Costco is my go to for meat. I can get full pork bellies, whole packer brisket, beef short ribs, pork back ribs ... You name the BBQ cut you want, you can get it at Costco in my experience.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
                        GadjetGriller commented
                        Editing a comment
                        ecowper does your Costco have choice Briskets? mine use to but when the drought caused the price of Beef to sky rocket a couple years ago they stopped carrying choice and only have prime. I just cant spend 50 to 75 bucks on a brisket.

• ecowper
                        ecowper commented
                        Editing a comment
                        GadjetGriller my Costco still carries full packer choice brisket. I agree, I woulnd't buy a Prime packer. A very close friend of mine is one of the Costco meat buyers. I will check with him on the Choice vs. Prime thing and see what he says. I suspect it is a demand issue.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here