Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I messed up my brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I messed up my brisket

So, I bought a 13lbs brisket for a party tomorrow. I got ofs to a bad start to say the least. With my lack of knowledge I started trimming the wrong side. See photo. So in desperation I took some of the fat and stuck it back on. Phew! I then continued to trim off fat after watching how Aaron Franklin does it. Its difficult to know when to stop trimming. I think I did too much. Last photo is under the flap. So, whats the verdict? Am I doomed to impress the guests tomorrow or can I save it? I don't wanna go out without a fight though

I think what you are looking at is the intersection of the two muscles... the flat and the point. There will be a fair amount of fat on the surface of the brisket, as well as a layer between the two muscles. You don't need to trim it all, but if you do you have not ruined anything. Fat is flavor. Keep a little around and render the trimmings to create some "beef love" too.

Don't stop... you are just getting started!

Comment

• bbqMagus
      bbqMagus commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the support. I've never seen a brisket trimmed and have just eaten it once. Haven't been able to stop thinking about it since
      Ps. What about the fat that I stuck on. You think it will help?

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      Fear not, my friend! Trimming down to a bald spot is not the end of the world.

You will NOT want to leave that cut fat on there. It will not work, imho.

Remove it and put your rub, such as the awesome Meatheads Big Bad Beef Rub on there. It will be fine.

Sometimes I trim all the fat off the outside. If you have the capability to place the trimmed fat on a grate above the brisket, the drippings will still flavor the meat and you can get a smoke ring on both sides. It will effect the bark some , but the sliced meat will look great

Comment

Can anyone tell me where the best place to put the probe is? I've got a traeger with two probes.

Comment

Put the fat end of the brisket toward the hot side and stick one in the flat and one in the point

Comment

• bbqMagus
          bbqMagus commented
          Editing a comment
          I haven't separated the flat and the point. When should I wrap it? When the flat is 150F or when the point is 150F?

i usually separate the point and flat. that's all you started doing. you are fine

Comment

Probably chiming in a little late here but I think your are fine with the trim. I always cut most of the fat between the point and flat. I feel it gives you more surface to treat with salt and rub. I do wrap but not until about 180 temp, like to get as much bark as possible.

Comment

Internal temp 150°. No bark yet. Wrap or not? We will eat in 8 hours. Think it will be done way sooner than that. Want to serve hot. Suggestions?

Comment

• Martyjmc
              Martyjmc commented
              Editing a comment
              I heard about wrapping it up in something like towels after foil of course and putting it in a cooler. Good luck! It looks fantastic!

Wrapped it about 160. Feels very stiff still. Hope wrapping it will really break down the collagen and tissues.

Comment

It's going to feel underdone at 160, and wrapping in foil and putting back in the smoker will help you get through the stall that occurs at 150-160 or so.

Start testing for doneness at about 190-195, checking for tenderness. Once it's probe tender, whatever the final temp, it's done. You'll see a range of temps throughout the piece. Just go for tenderness. The range of temps will settle out when you faux cambro the brisket for a couple of hours.

Sounds like you're doing great!

Kathryn

Comment

• CeramicChef
                CeramicChef commented
                Editing a comment
                Kathryn - great advice! I'd say you've been there and done that … more than once!

It was a success! Did I cook the perfect brisket? Far from it, but it tasted awesome and all the guests where impressed and opened up their eyes to barbecue. Even the kids where licking their plates! I've learned so much from this cook and I'm looking forward to the next one...which is in one week for my mother in laws 80th anniversary Thanks for all the input and support. Couldn''t have done it without it Ps. Can't upload dhoto of sliced fatty, but it has a nige smoke ring and is very moist
              Last edited by bbqMagus; July 23, 2016, 04:37 PM.

Comment

• Mitchl
                Mitchl commented
                Editing a comment
                Ohh. Looks good to me. Nice work.

Right On!

Comment

Dont worry, we will get that brisket routine in order. You'll be making the best Briz ever in no time.

Comment

I'm glad the cook turn out good bbqMagus every cook will get better and better from here

Comment

Hooray!

Congrats on a great cook!

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here