Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a new toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a new toy

Weston jerky slicer/ meat tenderizer.

Now that beef is back to the slightly high side of reasonable around here, I decided to advance my equipment acquisition of deer processing equipment and I now have the capability to do cube steaks and pork cutlets.

I picked up a $2.49/lb packer and plan on using the flat for jerky (just because I have not done any for a while), Cook the point for a burnt ends appetizer for this weekend, and save the fat for deer burger/ sausage.

Right now the smoker is running 130 degrees WITHOUT A FIRE. If it doesnt cool off a little this weekend, I will be looking for a DIY cold smoke option for the hog smoker. A 17lb brisket, even after the point and fat is removed, then sliced into 1" x 1/4" slabs takes up a lot of real estate. I have a 40" x 24" chunk of stainless steel 1/2" shaker screen that works good for a jerky tray in my 55 cubic foot "dehydrator". The problem is going to be how to make smoke and keep the temp below 170
    Last edited by rat88; July 21, 2016, 11:19 PM.

UPDATE**** New use I didnt even think of until I looked at the manual... FAJITA MEAT!!!!
    and possibly beef and brokery....

I might get more use out of this than I planned
    Last edited by rat88; July 21, 2016, 04:47 PM.

Comment

For fajitas, I like to cook the steak whole and then slice it. That way I can get a nice sear and still have the inside less than well done.

Comment

Thanks for the tip.
        I will find every way possible to use this. Not sure it will work for (Texas) Philly Cheese Steak sammies, but I will try that too

Comment

rat88 before it is all over with I can see you shoving an entire animal down that thing....

Comment

Cut and paste from "TGIF"...Fajitas turned out good. Mounted the slicer right to the grill. Steak and chicken went from the grill to the slicer and into the cast iron skillet with the peppers and unions without ever taking a step.
            Brisket is all trimmed and sliced. Ended up with 5# of jerky meat, 7# of point and 5# of fat for deer burger. Round 2 starts at 10 am on saturday.

Small learning curve on this. A brisket flat may be just a little too thick to go through the chute. If you try to pack it tight , it will jam up. One chunk was maybe 1/4" too thick and I cut them the width of the opening and it jammed up. I cut the rest of the pieces a little shorter.

The Fajita meat turned out good but I should have cut the slices in 2 or 3 pieces after they went through. Most of it was tender, but if you get ahold of a chewy piece, you end up draggin out a 6" hunk of steak.
            Next test is Philly meat. 1/4" sounds a little thick. I think they have a thinner blade set for this that cuts at 1/8 or 3/16. I might need to check into that.

I have some brisket trimmings that are fat marbled with meat. I might mess around with a mini slab of beef bacon??

And I am sorry about no pics. I was a$$holes and elbows for 2 hours and didnt want to slime up the phone for a few pics. Tomorrow will be jerky, brats, smoked round steak for phillys and brisket point, so I will have more time to snap some pics

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here