Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Eye of Round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Eye of Round

I only ever used round to make beef jerky. When I saw Prime eye of round I kind of laughed. So I picked one up, dry brined over night, coated with Mrs O'Leary's cow crust and brought it up to 125 before finishing on the SNS. The results were excellent. For the immediate meal fairly thick slices were very tender. I couldn't be believe the result. Excellent. But as it cooled I would definitely recommend thin sliced left overs. Though Mrs O'Leary's rub makes everything it touches taste amazing.

Michael Brinton Looks great. Its amazing what a few of Meatheads recipes can do. Not to mention when you nail the doneness like you have here.

Comment

If I saw prime eye of the round, I'd start asking philosophical questions.

Congrats on a nice cook with a piece of meat I would pass over.

Comment

Yeah these market's around where I live (Philadelphia suburbs, kinda) are funny. They vaguely know the trends, what's good, but are a little off. Prime eye of round, prime london broil, tri-tip which is two roasts net wrapped together the size of a soft ball, whole brisket which is in a 4x4 inch tiny pack. The only good thing is prime chuck roasts, my freezer is full. All cryo-vacced and no one buys any of them so I get them managers special.

Comment

Your meat is cooked perfectly. Nice bread too.👍

Comment

I too like doing eye of rounds that way, such an affordable cut of beef if you cook it right. A little dry, sure, but great great flavor. Never tried Prime, I bet that was as good as EOR gets!

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Cows are like new born babies... All they do is eat, sleep and poop.😁

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Breadhead newborn babies are altricial (and are the longest of any other being on planet earth), cows are precocial. BIG difference.

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              @Jerod Bourssard ... You are 100% correct. However babies mature and do more than sleep, eat & poop. Cows never do.😆

So does it follow a brisket is a brisket? With the round the price is insignificant. But brisket can be through the roof.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              There are some exceptions. I have had some Choice that were really sub-par as for as quality. And I have had some Selects that were obviously Choice quality. But those are rare instances.

• Michael Brinton
              Michael Brinton commented
              Editing a comment
              How do you feel about grass fed for bbq? Is it better for lean cuts? I tried to low and slow a grass fed short rib and it just didn't work. I overheard a butcher telling one of his customer's, "well this rib eye had some marbling it could work on the grill." It didn't look to marbled to me.

OK, you asked. IMO: Grass fed is trendy, period! Only possible taste advantage might be that grass fed grows slower so more mature & "beefier" tasting than some very young beef that is only a bit past veal in flavor. Even with a little older animal, the best flavor comes from at least a modest amount of fat and that is accomplished best with a grain finished product. Grass fed is the "in" thing. Like organic, natural, free range, non-GMO and a bunch of other trendy tags that people attach to what they are trying to sell you (usually at a cathouse price). It is leaner and therefore has fewer calories. If you want fewer calories you can eat grass fed and sacrifice flavor or eat a smaller portion of top quality grain finished beef and fill up on grilled broccoli (without butter or EVOO).

Comment

• johnec00
              johnec00 commented
              Editing a comment
              I think I'll stick with regular portions of corn fed beef, add cheese to the butter on my broccoli and try to mitigate the effect with my regular 4 mile after dinner walk.

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              HorseDoctor ... +1^!!! I agree that it's mostly marketing to Jack the retail price up. USDA Prime beef is only 2% of the available beef in the US. Personally I don't care what it ate to get all that flavorful fat!!!

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              The fats that are in grass finished beef are generally higher in conjugated LA and actually have omega-3's. So, it's not all low fat and marketing. It also has a somewhat gamier flavor that is not for everyone.

After failing with the grass fed rib for bbq, 23.99 a pound but only one rib. I just wonder could grass fed be better for leaner cuts? Corn fed rib eye = good but grass fed filet= good? I don't have any thing invested emotionally, just curious as to what grass fed could taste like (I.e. Dan Barber). Over fertilized tomatoes don't taste the same as a more balanced version. Air chilled chickens have a better texture and flavor. Hype aside. Plus I'm not willing to spend the money to test side by side on 23.99 a pound beef. I can swing tomatoes and chicken.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here